Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Kill games

Off and on I play a kill game and was wondering how you normally react when a kill is active.

Do you just treat it as a higher limit game or do you play tighter since it seems as if when a kill is active some people go nuts raising...

Or both?

Just curious since I seem to play tighter when a kill is active and wondering if that is the correct approach I should be taking...

Thank you.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Kill games

I get a little tighter and more aggressive (i.e., I almost always raise, reraise, or fold preflop unless I posted the BB or Kill).
Old 11-24-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get a little tighter and more aggressive (i.e., I almost always raise, reraise, or fold preflop unless I posted the BB or Kill).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. And that's what makes the Kill fun. Especially if you're defending the kill. People don't know if you're raising because you're defending the kill, or if you have a good hand.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:40 PM

I'm suprised at how many people just call when the kill is on, letting the "killer" in for free. If I am going into a kill pot, it's raise, reraise, or fold. And I find that these pots are extrememly profittable in my neck of the woods where people think they're getting into a friendly 2-5 spread limit game, but over 50% of the pots are played at 5-10.

my two scents [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 09:28 AM

What makes a kill pot a little different from simply a higher-stakes hand is the increased forced bets (i.e., the kill) and the inability of SB/BB to limp for their normal discount.

I either raise if I've got the hand to do it (and I actually tighten my raising standards a bit), or fold. I might limp very rarely with something like a suited A or low PP if there's already several people in an unraised pot (which is rare in itself for a kill) and I'm on button or in one of the blinds. I generally don't come in with things like KJo or QTo, or medium suited connectors; I just dump 'em.

One other thing worth mentioning...I NEVER bluff in a kill pot, but I value-bet relentlessly.

Other might find fault with this approach, but it has worked for me quite well at the local room....
Old 11-30-2005, 07:02 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Kill games (some stuff)

[ QUOTE ]
One other thing worth mentioning...I NEVER bluff in a kill pot, but I value-bet relentlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only worth mentioning if you're playing against calling stations. I find lots of spots to bluff during kill pots. At times, players new to that kind of 'higher' limit can be a little more timid and the money affects their thinking. And yes, this can go both ways.

Generally: I see how the table reacts to the kill. Many times you're getting better odds right off to limp than if the limit was normal. If the BB is posting the kill, then it's a little tighter. I'd adjust more-so to the texture of the table than just the kill price. Many times I find myself just playing normal except where I can isolate if possible.

If the killer is on my right, and he checks preflop with no one else in, I can raise alot of different hands if the table is conservative. Later the position the lower I go. It works even better when you have a very tight image. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I remember when I played alot of kill games online. The flop rates were always consistently higher in those games. You don't necesarily tighten up with a higher flop rate.(unless it's maniacal)

Just some thoughts...

b