Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-11-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: a loopy logy little hand

"i'm sure he [the button] justified his play to himself as to wanting an overcall rather than not raising his friend on the river."

FWIW, there’s no not raising the river with the nuts between me and anyone. He justified his play verbally, right after the hand. He looked at me and said, "I really thought you had absolutely nothing." In that case, he played the hand perfectly in my opinion, in two ways, first by making a good read (he was wrong this time, but hey, that's the gappage thing) and second by sticking with his ongoing reads, right or wrong, in how he played the hand. The more I think about this hand, the more I see it as a well-choreographed dance performed flawlessly by everyone. But it's just as easy and understandable for someone else to think that everyone played the hand poorly at almost every opportunity. Funny game, poker.

Tommy
Old 11-11-2005, 12:57 PM

i would check the river and give the guy with quads a chance to check behind.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:51 PM

i know he verbalized it and all, but it's hard to see him thinking you really had nothing considering you called the turn bet and bet the river. i don't think you had a high bluffing frequency in your actions since you checked so much in this game, so if i were in his spot i'd have to assume maybe you picked up a pair or something on the turn or river.

if anything its clear the bb has nothing after he makes his stab on the turn and gives up on the river. the button hoping he'd overcall in this spot is wishful thinking and he should raise your river bet because he's either going to get all the bets in he was going to get anyways if you either call or fold to it because bb is never going to call imo, that is unless i seriously overestimated button's playing abilities.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I think about this hand, the more I see it as a well-choreographed dance performed flawlessly by everyone. But it's just as easy and understandable for someone else to think that everyone played the hand poorly at almost every opportunity. Funny game, poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very very awesome post.

I definitely happen to be one of those people that thinks this hand was botched by at least two people, maybe that helps me appreciate this quote even more.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: This is not really a scary board for any hands, and
although no1 is going to fold a pocket pair, and possibly
not any two cards, you decided to play your pocket kings as
if you had overcards. This allows people to give you more
action on later streets by putting doubt into their minds
as to the strength of your hand. It might induce
excessive action from somebody who hits a jack or something
on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite captain quads hand reading, to me that flop check reeks to high heaven of "Hey, I got aces or a 9". If you put in any raises at all after this flop line, you can go ahead and turn your hand over. Most high cards are going to peel one with you, pairs will go apeshit on the flop and everyone expects the raiser to bet this flop 99% of the time 3 to the flop. You have to fire with low connectors to try and steal, and you have to protect AQ because it is likley the best hand. Logically the only hand that doesn't bet this 3 handed are AA, a 9 or maybe KK since dry aces will peel anyways on the flop and that is the only worry. Bet the flop, get the action started and disguise your hand.