Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 06:18 AM

Default my tourney game needs revamping.

I don't really know what else I can post here, but something is not working, I'm amassing stacks early and just three mile island-ing them left and right.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: my tourney game needs revamping.

are you adjusting your play in the later stages? normally the style that accumulates early, doesn't accumulate in the later stages due to less implied odds/shallower stacks/bigger blinds

What constitutes an *implied odds* based call in the early stages, just means the same calls/plays later will end up with you spewing chips at an alarming rate
Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 AM

Could it be your table image? If I see someone aggressively stealing blinds and reraising, I make a mental note of that and will play back at him, with marginal hands. That is the beauty of playing super aggro. It gets players to call or push with marginal holdings. That is when you clean up when you hold or flop a monster.

You have to think what your opponents think of you. If you have been playing aggressively, slow down for two orbits or so. Wait for that great hand and hammer them. I know they will be lying in the weeds for you but in actuality, you are the one setting them up.

So, try to change gears 4-5 times next tournament. Play and aggro game and then slow down. When you think they respect you again, steal steal steal. Take your foot off the pedal for a few minutes, bug!

Stipe
Old 09-08-2005, 09:43 AM

Are you changing gears at all?

Letting an orbit or two go by without playing so you can get some credit when opening again never hurts when you have a lot of chips.

I had and still have this problem, and I think the other poster is right in that if I keep playing aggro and don't slow down it puts a big target on my back.

I try (often fail though) to try to "che-cycle" my aggression.
Play aggro until I get played back at or show down a winning hand that was "speculative", then tighten up a bit until 2-3 orbits go by so I have some credibility when opening or I show down a good hand, then crank it back up until they start playing back again.....slow down again.....etc.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 09-08-2005, 12:08 PM

I guess you could try playing tighter. Maybe check out Harrington on Hold Em if you haven't already. It could just be variance also.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 PM

When you say bigstack, do you mean like monster, big enough to make the last 100 stack, or do you mean like oooh I tripled my stack in the first hour?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you changing gears at all?

Letting an orbit or two go by without playing so you can get some credit when opening again never hurts when you have a lot of chips.

I had and still have this problem, and I think the other poster is right in that if I keep playing aggro and don't slow down it puts a big target on my back.

I try (often fail though) to try to "che-cycle" my aggression.
Play aggro until I get played back at or show down a winning hand that was "speculative", then tighten up a bit until 2-3 orbits go by so I have some credibility when opening or I show down a good hand, then crank it back up until they start playing back again.....slow down again.....etc.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're giving the typical online player way too much credit here.

Once someone puts in that note on you about how you 'played crap' or whatever, or has simply seen you playing several cheese hands, that's what they'll remember about you.

I seriously doubt that two rounds of blinds or so suddenly reverse their opinion.

But maybe I'm wrong...

-Scott
Old 09-08-2005, 01:24 PM

Where are the chips going? My worst middle game leak is trying too hard to pick up the small stacks, and playing too timidly against bigger stacks.

If you're having trouble making the +CEV to +$EV conversion, join the club. Nothing more frustrating than making the right decisions at the wrong time.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:30 PM

Since I have sweated you a few times, I guess I should comment. The one thing I see is I feel you might be too aggressive w/ resteals when the risk is not worth the reward. I have the same problem, since it is so easy to scroll that bar over, but it might be better to fold and not risk 12bb's for 2bb's, etc.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Maybe I am giving most online players too much credit. I would think that most online players would notice that you raised with 7-4o and proceeded with a continuation bet on the flop and took it down versuses AK. Most players would see that play and type in what a fish you are, etc. So, they are paying somewhat attention to the action. I think that most players play so by the book that when they do see you play junk and win, they make a mental note of it. Are most online players that ignorant and unobservant? Maybe you are right!

Maybe two round is not enough but waiting for a decent hand so you can play back at an opponent is needed. You simply can't keep firing out or you run into the problem that was initially proposed by Bug. You bleed chips fast.

I think you need to integrate your game and not always play loose and aggressive. Of course, there are some posters that are damn good at doing this and do make a high percentage of final tables. But if you do shift gears you won't bleed chips and but actually increase your stack when you do have a big hand prefop.

FWIW,

Stipe