Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:39 PM

Default HOME: One table League Play

I've been playing in a local poker league with 19 other players. One table freeze outs with 15min levels starting with 1500 each in chips.
Blind levels are:
25/25
25/50
50/100
75/150
100/200
150/300
200/400
300/600
and so on.
With only 15min rounds in a live game, the blinds can get big fast. We might get through 1.5 orbits before they go up (9 handed). Let's say that you don't know how most of the guys play.
What is the best strategy?
Normally, in large tourneys I'd sit back in the early levels to get a feel for the players and build a tight image. Obviously that can backfire here unless you get premium hands early.
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: HOME: One table League Play

[ QUOTE ]

With only 15min rounds in a live game, the blinds can get big fast. We might get through 1.5 orbits before they go up (9 handed).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's blazing fast for live play... are you sure you can get through 12-16 hands in 15 minutes?!

Anyways- play like the normal "Party" strategy. Sounds similar but I bet it works even better in this live tourney..
Old 12-06-2005, 09:58 PM

That is a very small starting chip count. In my group, we play 15 minute blinds, starting at 25/50, with starting stack of T2500. Blind levels increase pretty much as you describe. My usual style of play, is tight early, aggressive late. Just like on line.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:08 PM

Position, position, position. You can deal with fast blind structures by being aggressive in position early and picking up a couple of extra small pots so that your opponents are more afraid to play against your slightly bigger stack.

Also be willing to defend your blind against strong opponents raising from late position with weaker holdings.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:29 PM

This looks pretty similar to the ones at the Orleans, which I'm pretty sure I'm unbeatable in. Anyway, yeah, they play very similar to an 800-chip Party structure. You should have enough time to figure out how people play in 2-3 orbits before you hit push/fold territory. Once you get under 8-10 BB, push early, push often, and don't call anyone without the nuts. Also, if you need to crack aces, do so by rivering two pair with KQ.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:04 AM

When we're 9 handed we get maybe 1 orbit per level. Someone usually assumes the role of "table captain" and starts calling clocks on everybody. It's hyper aggressive, but since most of them work they try to keep the games shorter. I voted for more chips or more time on the levels to add more skill to these games, but was out voted.
I try to play position as often as possible.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:08 AM

I agree. The other guys use a similar strategy too, so it seems to even out unless the cards come best vs. 2nd best. I just feel like aggressive levels and blinds make for a push-fest. Probably the last time I'll play in the league with this kind of structure.
The only reason to really do it is for the interaction. I love playing live poker.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing in a local poker league with 19 other players. One table freeze outs with 15min levels starting with 1500 each in chips.
Blind levels are:
25/25
25/50
50/100
75/150
100/200
150/300
200/400
300/600
and so on.
With only 15min rounds in a live game, the blinds can get big fast. We might get through 1.5 orbits before they go up (9 handed). Let's say that you don't know how most of the guys play.
What is the best strategy?
Normally, in large tourneys I'd sit back in the early levels to get a feel for the players and build a tight image. Obviously that can backfire here unless you get premium hands early.
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost exactly how my friends and I play...though we add a 50/75 level to slow things down a touch. Also, 1500 is too low. We do 2500 for standard ones and more when we have more time / care more. Our 'big' ones have $4000 in chips. Worked out perfect.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:24 AM

Calling clocks???

a) Why the crap would anybody need to take that long to make a decision? You guys on TV or something? Please tell me you all don't sit around wearing hats and shades.

b) Who is keeping this "clock?" Does Tournament Director Matt Savage come over to your house? Just tell whoever is stalling to hurry the XXXXing XXXX up and play poker.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling clocks???

a) Why the crap would anybody need to take that long to make a decision? You guys on TV or something? Please tell me you all don't sit around wearing hats and shades.

b) Who is keeping this "clock?" Does Tournament Director Matt Savage come over to your house? Just tell whoever is stalling to hurry the XXXXing XXXX up and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would punch someone in the head if they called a clock on me in a home game.