Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2003, 12:11 PM

Default Foxwoods 4-8

I took my first trip to Foxwoods (perhaps I'll write a 'Foxwoods Impressions' post later if I'm not feeling too lazy) this past Saturday evening to play some hold'em. I sat in a 4-8 game with superstar poster JTG (in perfect position on his immediate left [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]). I wasn't dealt too many interesting hands, but here's one that had me banging my head against a wall afterwards. The game was somewhat loose (seemed to be looser when I was in a hand) and quite passive.

I'm dealt pocket Queens in MP. One limper to me, I raise, three coldcallers and one caller from the blinds. Six to the flop for 12 SB's.

Flop: JJx with two hearts (I have no hearts)

BB bets, I call, player to my left (MP1) raises, BB calls, I call. Three to the turn for 18 SB's.

Turn: x (in a third suit)

BB bets out again, I fold, MP1 calls.

River: Q (of course...why else would I post this? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img])

BB bets, MP1 calls.

Results: BB shows KJo, MP1 shows J6s...BB takes it down.

My thoughts: Earlier in the evening I raised a single limper from LP and BB called (he was the BB in this instance as well). On the flop he bet out and the limper and I folded. He showed his hand (gotta love that), which was two-pair. From this hand and a few others I gathered that he didn't slowplay or checkraise. His play was very straightforward; if he had a hand he bet out. The player to my left seemed to play fairly tight, so when he coldcalled preflop and raised the flop alarms went off in my head (of course my read of him being tight turned out to be way off). So, with that being said, I strongly considered folding to the initial flop bet, almost certain that I was behind to trip Jacks. I called because I wasn't 100% sure I was behind and because I was getting 13:1 on the call. After MP1 raised and the action was back on me I had an easy call, getting 17:1, even though I was now certain that I was behind. I was annoyed when the Queen came on the river even though I properly folded on the turn (I'm a fish at heart I guess).

Anyway, all comments are appreciated.

-- Homer
Old 03-24-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 4-8

Let me know next time you guys are gonna be there...
Old 03-24-2003, 12:26 PM

Hi Homer, did you like foxwoods? You definitely should post a trip report or something. I'm always interested in what visitors think about the place.

As to the hand, I think you played it fine. While I don't play in the 4-8 at the woods, I have a friend who I go with who plays there regularly. From sweating him and what I know of the game, it's generally incredibly loose, and there's a lot of unwarranted action at times. That being said I think you had close to the implied odds necessary to spike your set on the turn when you called the flop (13 sb at the time you called). If you figure to make 2 bb if you hit your set, you still technically don't have the odds, but given you might actually be ahead I like the call here- it very well might go check/check/check on the turn. Figuring to make 3 bb it's right on the cusp.

The turn fold was also fine as you had no odds here. Don't be results oriented [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Leon
Old 03-24-2003, 12:32 PM

Will do. It might be a while until I get up there again, as I live in PA about four hours away. I made it up last weekend because I was visiting a friend in NYC. I'm going to try to get up there for a 3 or 4-day weekend sometime in the spring or summer, hopefully. If I do I'll definitely let you know.

-- Homer
Old 03-24-2003, 12:46 PM

Wow, superstar poster? Thanks! You must have me confused with someone else though. I'm no superstar, more like a .250 hitter. Just barely staying in the league. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll wait till you post your 'Foxwoods Impressions' till I post my 'Homer Impressions'.

As for the hand, I think you played it fine. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd ever played with BB before that night, so I can't tell you anything else about him. You were obviously worried about his bet since you didn't raise. It may turn out that he's so passive you can fold to his original flop bet, I don't think either of us saw enough from him for that though.