Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: k

[ QUOTE ]
save KJ... 12 out of 68 combos, or 17.6% better than the 2/13 required

[/ QUOTE ]
Villian won't have KJ nearly 17.6% of the time. Sure, it's a possibility, but it's much more likely he would have called preflop w/ KJ than 3-bet it. He's more likely to 3-bet AK preflop for value and on the flop HU as a semi-bluff.

The majority of the value in this bluff was the times when villian had AA or KK and would fold them.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop play just screams made hand, and there are very few made hands that will fold for 1 bet on the river in this pot given the two busted draws after 4th street.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, I'm not sure what you think the busted 4th st draws have to do with anything. I raised before the flop, raised on the flop, then raised on the river when the top card paired. Very few people with decent hand-reading abilities will consider busted draws as much of an option at all (until you get to a stake higher than this, where it is very common to get much more tricky).

Second, if you insist that there aren't players out there who fold made hands on the river for one bet - when given ample reason to - then I don't know what else to say, except go play in Vegas for awhile. The Mirage 20-40 and Wynn 15-30 are full of local weak-tighties who love to fold hands. This player was better than the prototypical Vegas local, but was still more than able to lay down a good hand when he's convinced he's beat.

The article isn't about making these standard plays in situations like this. It's about being on the lookout for opportunities to pick up pots that don't belong to you. I think your time in the Party 6max games has tainted your view on how often somebody will lay down a made hand.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:35 PM

Dude is absolutely correct and from reading a lot of the posts, it sounds like people ARE thinking in terms of online poker where most realize this play wouldn't work. Live ... sometimes, against the right people, you can, especially at these higher low-limit games.

Man, it's two months ago all over again. I'm out of this thread before Team Double D and I go another 100 rounds that amuse no one but ourselves.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 12-13-2005, 02:00 PM

There are a lot of players in Vegas who will fold an overpair to that first bluff (and many will show you their cards). Outside of Vegas, I haven't seen many.