Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Help analyzing this hand please (especially the turn)

im saying you should not mini-raise pre-flop OOP with KK looking to fold on a J-high flop
Old 11-22-2005, 12:47 PM

I think the pre flop raise was correct, you want one opponent to stick around, you make it $10 more, he folds.

On the turn the other options was simply betting the same $10... the whole way, he may put you on flush, and just call you down, pushing isn't going to get you anymore $, because he folds, in the face of a flush, unless he has QQ, JJJ or AA or the flush... all but 1 beat you... you could have gotten away from this hand on the river. However, you may have been looking at a AJs, or even QJs... so it was tough
Old 11-22-2005, 12:59 PM

It was not a mini raise... was it?

He raised from 1 to 4.50 which is 3.50 raise.

I raised from 4.50 to 10.50 which is a 6.00 raise.

A pot sized raise would be 4.50 +2(dead money) +4.50 = 11.00 raise ie. to 15.50.

A mini raise would be 3.50 to 8.00.

I am not sure any of this matters, because I don't think he is going to fold JJ here, unless I push all in (and even then it is maybe). The point is I want to play KK vs JJ and he is not getting the odds to call 6.00 for a set into a 17.00 pot.

You can argue he gets implied odds to hit his set, but I am going to stack the guy if the flop is tens or less anyway if I sucker him in with this medium raise.

I am satisfied in the way I played the preflop and flop. My main question is on the turn.

<font color="red"> Should I check the turn? </font>
If yes, if he bets 10 I call and can fold the river comfortably.
If yes, and he bets the pot, can I fold here?
Or should I bet a smaller amount on the turn?
Then if he raises (oh well I have to call and get the same result).
If he calls, I can comfortably check-fold the river.

<font color="red"> How do you guys play the turn here? (assuming you got here the same way) </font>
Old 11-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Postflop, 50BB stack, overpair, you are getting stacked. End of story. Because of that fact, you should make it more expensive for him to play preflop. He is not folding JJ preflop if you make it $15-18 to go. But now you easily just get it all in without having to even think about it, which is perfect. You cannot make a mistake, and you are forcing him to make one preflop. How can you not like that?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:50 PM

beating a dead horse - raise more preflop.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:46 PM

im not arguing that hes getting "implied odds to hit his set". theres no implied odds with 50 BB stacks.

im arguing that i have no idea why you wouldnt want to get MORE MONEY IN when you are VERY MUCH AHEAD. as in, pre-flop. KK &gt; all hands except one. with only 2 cards, KK &gt; AK. KK &gt; QQ. KK &gt; JJ. KK &gt; TT.

but if you dont want to talk about the terrible preflop/flop play thats fine with me.

turn you have the second nut flush draw. you have an overpair. you have a 50 BB stack. it's going in. i cant believe you want to check-call the turn then check-fold the river. that is horrendous. or even more horrendous is betting turn and check-folding river. youre going to put in $30 and then fold for another $20? ugh ugh ugh
Old 11-22-2005, 08:21 PM

Is it just me, or is the flop call not suspect? That smells of either set or flush draw (set more likely based on calling the huge pre-flop raise). I think if he just had top pair with AJ or KJ or QJ, he would have raised the bet on the flop, but he just called. I don't see what your ahead of on the turn to push, I would try to check it down from that point on.