Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Party vs. Stars

I have heard rumours that Party is "easier" at every limit than stars. I'm just wondering if thats the truth, if your a 2bb/100 at $1/2 on Party would you be a noticably different winner if you played on Stars?, I'm just wondering if its possible to be as profitable on Stars as it apparently is on Party.

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, just looking for a honest answer.

Appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Party vs. Stars

I only played Party briefly with an underbankrolled bonus in the middle of a bad downswing, so needless to say it didn't go very well. However given all the calls for iso raises that I'd never get away with on Stars and utter contempt for any and all villians this board seems to show I'm pretty sure that Stars is a good deal tougher.

And frankly I like it that way. It's like getting training for higher limits without as much risk, and it's nice playing against a couple opponents who at least have some sort of clue and behave logically. Sure it's -EV from a strict financial standpoint, but I'm not playing poker solely for the money anyway so it's not a huge deal for me.

I rather doubt that Stars is as profitable as Party, but Stars .5/1 at least is certainly beatable, as I can attest to.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, just looking for a honest answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the only reason you're asking this question is because it was beaten to death by a bunch of liars?

What do you expect from people, dude? It depends...more on the table than the site, IMO. Do you want us to pick your tables for you, too? Or perhaps once you're at the table I can come lurk and tell you which player to try and isolate preflop? Go play, arrive at your own conclusion.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure it's -EV from a strict financial standpoint

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true...for everybody. My EV is much higher at tighter tables, as they are more susceptible to being pwned by my on-again-off-again-LAG style.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:11 PM

I would not play non-Party sites without some incentive to do so. Stars offers some pretty good games (moreso SH, of course) but it just doesn't compare.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I rather doubt that Stars is as profitable as Party...

[/ QUOTE ]

Rake at Stars (.50/1):
- $5 pot = $.25
- $10 pot = $.50
- $15 pot = $.75
- $20 pot = $1

Rake at Party (.50/1):
- $5 pot = $.50
- $12 pot = $.75
- $20 pot = $1

Saving about 1/4 BB every pot you win can add up quickly. If you win 8% of the hands, then you win an extra 2 BB/100. (This is a little high, because you don't always save the full 1/4 BB -- My guess is that it's about 1.25 BB/100 at these looser tables because the pot is larger more often.)
Old 12-07-2005, 02:14 PM

Now do this calculation for the new rake structure at Euro...omg! Are all the Pokerrooms this convoluted? It seems like the easiest thing is just to grab a random number of chips out of the pot and throw them at the dealer when you win.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now do this calculation for the new rake structure at Euro...omg! Are all the Pokerrooms this convoluted? It seems like the easiest thing is just to grab a random number of chips out of the pot and throw them at the dealer when you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean a toke? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 02:27 PM

I still think that word sounds like you should share your joint with the dealer to say "thanks."
Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think that word sounds like you should share your joint with the dealer to say "thanks."

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a dealer and I would have appreciated that a lot more than some of the tokes I got [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]