Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Yankees Offseason Moves

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They brought up Cano. You don't like him.

They drew 4,000,000 fans to the decrepit old ballpark in a decrepit neighborhood. They made tons of money, a lot of it given to the other teams in revenue sharing and luxury tax. They made the post-season for the eleventh conseuctive time.

Without the Yankees, baseball is a minor league sport.

[/ QUOTE ]Andy this is far to much reality for many baseball fans. However, it is 100% true. I can only imagine how much the ChiSox, Indians, Marlins, Nationals benefited from the Yankees and the Red Sox ridiculously high luxury tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

In more ways than one! You see, since they bought all these 1-tool players, they became horrid horrid teams, which got beaten up by CWS and ANA.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard on an ESPN radio show this morning that a Penn State football game on cable had better ratings than every playoff game not involving NYY. I have no idea how to look it up, so take it fwiw...

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with true baseball fans who appreciate watching a good ballgame between any teams. You realize this, right?

EDIT: If it's ESPN radio, it's gotta be true. Even if this was true, all it would illustrate is how fair-weather NYY/BOS fans are, and that they only appreciate their own on TV.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can only imagine how much the ChiSox, Indians, Marlins, Nationals benefited from the Yankees and the Red Sox ridiculously high luxury tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there were HUGE league wide benefits from the Red Sox ridiculously high luxury tax of $0.

[/ QUOTE ]oops, I meant revenue sharing [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has nothing to do with true baseball fans who appreciate watching a good ballgame between any teams. You realize this, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. What the hell does this have to do with anything I said? You realize that the number of "true" baseball fans is a very small % of sports fans?

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: If it's ESPN radio, it's gotta be true. Even if this was true, all it would illustrate is how fair-weather NYY/BOS fans are, and that they only appreciate their own on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you missed or choose to ignore the "take it fwiw" part. Again, what the hell does the second sentence here have to do with anything? I was responding to Andy saying that without the Yankees MLB is a minor league sport. That's an exaggeration, but comparing the ratings of playoff games not involving NYY or BOS you might notice a slight difference.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:21 PM

There was a week not long ago where I believe I set the record for ill-informed posts, on the philosophy forum. You're coming very close, and it's only Wednesday. I'm pulling for you.

The Angels won the same number of games as the Yankees and the Red Sox; the White Sox won just four more. The difference between runs scored and runs allowed was about the same for all 4 teams.

Since the Yankees "bought all these one tool players," they made the playoffs eleven straight times, made the World Series six times, and won four championships. The Red Sox won their first World Series in eighty-five years. While the White Sox swept the Red Sox this year, the Red Sox swept the Angeles last year. These things happen in short series between two good teams.

What one-tool players have hurt the Yankees and Red Sox?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a week not long ago where I believe I set the record for ill-informed posts, on the philosophy forum. You're coming very close, and it's only Wednesday. I'm pulling for you.

The Angels won the same number of games as the Yankees and the Red Sox; the White Sox won just four more. The difference between runs scored and runs allowed was about the same for all 4 teams.

Since the Yankees "bought all these one tool players," they made the playoffs eleven straight times, made the World Series six times, and won four championships. The Red Sox won their first World Series in eighty-five years. While the White Sox swept the Red Sox this year, the Red Sox swept the Angeles last year. These things happen in short series between two good teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, stop wasting precious moments of your life on deaf ears (I know, I should follow the same advice).
Old 10-12-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, stop wasting precious moments of your life on deaf ears (I know, I should follow the same advice).

[/ QUOTE ]yeah for real, just ignore him.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 PM

yeah the yankees have a great record of success but they also have triple the resources of most teams. so it is not quite so impressive. granted yankees management has done alot to maximize some of the revenue streams but give any owner and gm, the new york city market and the yanks history and they would be successful.
if baseball had completely revenue sharing( all tv and radio money shared equally - cant ever happen) i think the sport would be better like the nfl. and the yanks would not be the great dynasty of the late 90s to now.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah the yankees have a great record of success but they also have triple the resources of most teams. so it is not quite so impressive. granted yankees management has done alot to maximize some of the revenue streams but give any owner and gm, the new york city market and the yanks history and they would be successful.
if baseball had completely revenue sharing( all tv and radio money shared equally - cant ever happen) i think the sport would be better like the nfl. and the yanks would not be the great dynasty of the late 90s to now.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think that people realize that during the 96-00 period the yankees payroll was 1/2 as much as it is now and they were not out of hand. they greatly, greatly outperformed their payroll by dominating in that period.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 PM

yeah that is definitely true the spread between the yanks and indians in either 95 or 96 was yanks 85 mil. indians 50 mil.