Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Just got pulled over while walking

[ QUOTE ]
So you spent 20+ minutes your way, when you'd likely have only spent 5 minutes and have been on your way....
Is this really a worthy battle to fight? No. It's equivalent of spending $500 to fight a $5 parking ticket

[/ QUOTE ]

It's princiPALITY, Smokey!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:43 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you spent 20+ minutes your way, when you'd likely have only spent 5 minutes and have been on your way....
Is this really a worthy battle to fight? No. It's equivalent of spending $500 to fight a $5 parking ticket

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a waste of time.

b
Old 09-05-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a waste of time.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It took a while, but not much longer than a standard interview (at least, not much longer than an interview in which they take and process your ID).

[/ QUOTE ]

Geesh.

Cops pulling random people over deserve any flak they get and then some. They should be doing their job and not hoping to get lucky while abusing law abiding citizens.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Geesh.

Cops pulling random people over deserve any flak they get and then some. They should be doing their job and not hoping to get lucky while abusing law abiding citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. It's amazing how quickly people on here are willing to give up their rights. And then they condemn those of us who actually value our rights and stand up for ourselves rather than acting like sheep.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm, before you go ahead and join the police, you might want to consider that it is a citizens freedom in this country not to have to divulge personal information without charge. We are required by law to provide our name and address. We are not required to tell a police officer on a random stop why we are up at this hour, what we're doing, where we are going, where we are coming from, what our jobs are, etc.

I happen to think it's worth standing up for those rights once in a while. In the past when we have been fully cooperative and answered all these questions, the officers didn't believe us. "Just walking at 3am eh?" and they keep hammering, and called in our names regardless.

Understand it isn't like we are being asked with a pretty please and a cherry on top. It is an interrogation, without the least bit of courtesy or appreciation.

We also were being perfectly polite. Which is to say more than the officer was doing from the start.

I suspect this sort of crap happens to us because police aren't used to coming across young guys out walking at 3am who aren't causing trouble. But honestly, we don't need to be assumed guilty and harrased every time we're out, and if we choose not to give our autobiography, I don't think we need to be called dicks either.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the US, I am well within my rights as a citizen to walk down the streets and call people by any vile epithet I want. Just because I am well within my rights does not mean I am not acting like a dick. The police acted reasonably in stopping you. You two decided to respond with "no comment." The officer then got upset and hurt your feelings by calling you a dick. You then posted the story here to show how you stood up to "the man." I'm not impressed with your story or your actions. Since you two acted like dicks people here on OOT are right to call you dicks. If you want sympathy, tell this story to your mom. She might care.

[/ QUOTE ]

[rant]

Gotta luv this.. I totally agree! Let my start by first saying that hmmm..

The officer called you a dick... wow.. I guess he is just a straight shooter. You were/are? a dick.

Youy stated yourself that you understand WHY he pulled you over, but then state that he had no right to do so and you were going to be uncooperative??

Let's look at the facts here.. It was 4am in the morning, and unless there is 100+ people walking around in this area all the time at this hour, you just walking IS suspicious and should be more than enough to have you stopped.

It's not illegal for me to have my clothes covered in blood and to walk through the busiest areas of town at 9am, but I have to understand that eventually I will be stopped.

Now, I'll be the first to say that I know nothing about Canadian law, but what you did sounds stupid, and I wish he would of hauled you asses off to the precinct.

So many people around here have said that the police should be "doing their job" and they have "better things to do". Wake up.. this IS part of their job. As mentioned by another poster, I hope when you get your house robbed or car stolen that the cops just drive by the 2 guys "just walking" down the road.

If you would have been cooperative with this guy, he would have gotten you out of there much quicker for sure, but think of this... The next time him or his buddies see you walking down the street at 4am, I think you have a drastically increased chance that they will stop you again.

I just laugh at people like you who think the need to fight the "man", but get all pissed when something happens and you need the police, but they are not "serving" your needs to the level you feel they should. Sometimes I wish I could just ship some of you off to countries where you can be arrested and detained just because you have 2 feet!
[/rant]
Old 09-05-2005, 11:29 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a waste of time.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It took a while, but not much longer than a standard interview (at least, not much longer than an interview in which they take and process your ID).

[/ QUOTE ]

Geesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, my time is worth more than wasting more time with a cop than I have to in this type of situation.

Again, I'll just pay the parking ticket and move on.

b