Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 09:26 AM

Default I feel like a limit player

My first hand 10-20 full table. I have 2k.

I post in MP. I get Kc3c and check. 1 tight limper after me. SB completes, BB checks. All stacks about the same as mine.

Flop is Jd6h2c. Checked to me, I bet $60, tight limper calls, blinds fold.

Turn 6c. I check, tight limper bets $100, I make it $300 straight.

Good or bad? I really didn't have a read other than the guy is tight. Was my amount too small? Anyone call here or just fold? Anyone lead out?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: I feel like a limit player

dont like it..just give it up on the turn.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:53 AM

Whenever I see hands played like this, rightly or wrongly I just think 'why?'.

We're all guilty of doing it time to time, but I think it's basically just increasing your variance unnecessarily. I doubt stuff like this against a tight limper after he calls on a drawless flop is +ev.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Well, my reasoning at the time is that it's a semibluff (i did pick up a flush draw on the turn that will most likely be good if it hits, plus I have an overcard) against a hand that probably can't take heat. His most likely hand is something like TJ or JQ, maybe AJo. Wouldn't you have trouble calling a CR on the turn against a random two cards when the middle card just paired?

Of course, he could have a monster...

Also, I don't want the more observant opponents to see right away that I'll bet out then check fold to a call automatically.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:08 AM

I think he is going to have a hard time calling you with J and another broadway, which seems like his most likely hand. I doubt you are up against JJ, so unless he has AcJc, you probably have 12 outs, but I don't see him calling here very often, I think more likely he is reraising or folding. (66 would probably smooth call, but 22 or JJ would play back hoping you had a 6, no? Maybe AcJc calls too since you could have anything.)

So, I like the turn since I don't think he can call you without some kind of read with just a jack, and there are a lot more ways to have a folding hand than a reraising hand. As for the bet size, you are giving him 3.3:1 if my math is right, but that should be enough to move him off a jack unless he weights your liklihood to bluff as pretty high, and is willing to pay off another 500+ on the river (not saying you will follow through there, but in his mind he has to take that into account.) You could have easily fired at that flop with a 6, and c/ring with a 6 on the turn seems reasonable, so your story is consistent.

Looks good to me.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:12 AM

FWIW I think most players will call this raise if they think you won't be likely to follow it up with a river bet. And if you're willing to do that you're obviously at danger of getting into even more trouble, he could have 22 and already be full.

Meh. I'd probably lead the turn again, I know he's likely to call but at least you'll get to see a river cheapish and disguise your hand a little.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:27 AM

i don't like posting in mid position but i do that sometimes too.

I don't really like the flop bet but i guess it's not so bad.

I definitely like the check raise turn. What's your plan if he calls and you brick the river? I say give it up.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely like the check raise turn. What's your plan if he calls and you brick the river? I say give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I most likely give it up w/out a read. If a club comes, I probably bet 2/3 pot or so and take it from there.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my reasoning at the time is that it's a semibluff (i did pick up a flush draw on the turn that will most likely be good if it hits, plus I have an overcard) against a hand that probably can't take heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so he doesn't need a set to call you on the flop, but how many outs do you think you have on average when he calls your turn checkraise? There are two possibilities.... a) he thinks you're full of it, and he will call you with one pair (or he turned trips?) or b) he folds most hands other than boats. If (a) is true then you are putting in quite a bit of money out of position with no hand when you can't be very confident about ANY of your outs on the river. If (b) is true then you are just running a pure bluff as you have no outs when called.

You can't really have it where the guy will fold hands like AJ to your checkraise, but you'll also have nice pot equity the times that you do get called.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:15 PM

Soah,

Good point. I guess my "semi-bluffing" is more of a randomizer for when to do this as if he calls I really can't put in too much money on the river w/out a better read no matter what hits.