Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Greatest movie/TV Poker Scene of All Time. . .

[ QUOTE ]
that's one of the things i like about it. she's so stiff and unsexy so is the lead man i forget his name again but you know the famous guy, he's great. in other words i think theyre like that on purpose. it's very cold, like theyre robots almost. it's also an homage to noir acting traditions i think, almost wooden at times, very unemotional.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pop it in again. Never thought to look at it like that.

~D
Old 09-13-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's one of the things i like about it. she's so stiff and unsexy so is the lead man i forget his name again but you know the famous guy, he's great. in other words i think theyre like that on purpose. it's very cold, like theyre robots almost. it's also an homage to noir acting traditions i think, almost wooden at times, very unemotional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. This is very typical of David Mamet's films, as he is a playwright first and foremost.

Anyway, the lead's name is Joe Mantegna, and he was perfect.

I agree to having a little trouble with Lindsay Crouse, though. I just fine her so damned unattractive, and in no way an interesting actress.

But it doesn't matter. It's a great movie, and certainly worth seeing.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. This is very typical of David Mamet's films, as he is a playwright first and foremost.

Anyway, the lead's name is Joe Mantegna, and he was perfect.

I agree to having a little trouble with Lindsay Crouse, though. I just fine her so damned unattractive, and in no way an interesting actress.

But it doesn't matter. It's a great movie, and certainly worth seeing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to change the topic, but I have a question that's been burning with me for some time. I think our resident movie expert, Rushmore is the man for the job:

Explain Sean Young's "acting style" to me. I just don't get it, and I don't think I ever will. Also, is there a less attractive personality in the business?

Points of reference: "No Way Out," "A Kiss Before Dying," and "Cousins."

Her part in Ace Ventura actually sums up her acting "style" quite nicely (it may even be an inside joke).
Old 09-13-2004, 07:40 PM

Explain Sean Young's "acting style" to me. I just don't get it, and I don't think I ever will. Also, is there a less attractive personality in the business?

The answer to both is Blade Runner

-AA
Old 09-13-2004, 07:46 PM

"kick a buck"
"kick a buck"....
"he had nothin, nothin"
" sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand"
another newman film of course.

BTW Mamet is a whip of a playwright, "oleanna" is an absolute beating,IMHO.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:54 PM

I CANNOT, CANNOT believe that nobody mentioned the showdown at the end of Cincinnati Kid between Steve McQueen and Edward G. Robinson. The entire movie is a prelude to that one hand and the scripting and cinematography of that hand is brilliant.
The Sting is one of my all-time favorites but Cincinnati Kid is THE ultimate poker movie and it is the one that should be required viewing.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:34 AM

Default The Cincinnati Kid is not as great as some say it is...

I think you'll find several people in here that are not fond of TCK at all. especially the final poker scene, which is just ludicrous. good hollywood drama, horrible poker.

check out 13 Days for good poker-like situation, involving the cuban missile crisis. i'm not the first to relate the 2, but i think it's a good movie to illustrate the similarities. what do you guys think?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:13 AM

I know this has turned into a Sting-fest, but I love the scene from Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. There isn't a better "Holy [censored] I just lost £500000" face than Eddie's after getting hustled by Harry.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Re: The Cincinnati Kid is not as great as some say it is...

great? youve got to be kidding. it's entertaining if you are a poker goon like us, but otherwise it's pretty lame, simple hollywood stuff right down to the cornball ending. have a few drinks and watch it with some poker buddies, but even rounders is a better film as far as films go, and that's saying something.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:42 AM

Default Mr. Son of a bitch, let\'s play some cahds.

I flopped the nut straight Teddy.