Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Pittsburgh Penguins get first pick

[ QUOTE ]
Domi is a much better hockey player than he gets credit for. Which is mostly his own fault. In the regular season, he spends less time actually playing than he does with all his 'extra-curricular' activities. If he just played, he'd get more respect.

He'd be a good fit with the Penguins too - they'll need some muscle to protect Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin & Recchi.

[/ QUOTE ]

at times he is the biggest idiots on the rink. A few years ago in the playoffs he took a cheap elbow to the head of Scott Niedermayer near the very end of the game in which the Leafs were winning? the Leafs were even up in the series. He got suspended, this cheap shot against one of the claser players in the league fueled the Devils to come back and win the series.

[ QUOTE ]

Hell - on that team, Domi would be the 5th best player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rico Fata is better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, that's exactly it. It's mostly an attempt to reach out to the American fan. That's where the demand for it is coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a poor generalization. They made these new rules to attract new fans all everywhere
Old 07-27-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, that's exactly it. It's mostly an attempt to reach out to the American fan. That's where the demand for it is coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a poor generalization. They made these new rules to attract new fans all everywhere

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's been widely reported that it is mostly to attract new American fans. There isn't a whole lot of fan growth that can take place north of the border.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell - on that team, Domi would be the 5th best player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with the recent rumours that Jagr may be bought out and head back to the Pens. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

again, just rumours, but it's so much better than talking about the lockout!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:22 PM

There's too many of them. How many people want to buy tickets for a sport where 1/5th of the games end with no conclusion? Some teams had that many ties last year. If it were 4-8 a season on average, like it used to be (IIRC), there'd be no problem. 10-15? Unacceptable, to me.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:51 PM

Good point Triumph, that's exactly it. All the lower scoring in the past 10 years has obviously led to many more ties. Take Minnesota for example, the prototypical defense/trappy team. 20 TIES LAST YEAR!!! That's a quarter of the damn season. It's too bad they can't play a more exciting game there, Minnesota is a great hockey city. The fans deserve it.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's been widely reported that it is mostly to attract new American fans. There isn't a whole lot of fan growth that can take place north of the border.

[/ QUOTE ]

and overseas
Old 07-27-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pittsburgh, when having a winning team, is just as big of a hockey market as anywhere else other than MAYBE New York and Montreal.

[/ QUOTE ]

By far the funniest thing said in this thread.

Pittsburg is easily in the bottom 25% of marketable cities in hockey. In the last five years they have easily had one of the lowest overall team salaries in hockey. Basically they are cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm not used to speaking to people outside of the area about sports. When I talk to someone around here, they understand what I mean so let me try to explain.

When I'm talking about as big of a hockey market, I'm talking in relative terms.

For instance (sorry for the baseball reference but I know actual numbers here), the Pirates so far this year have sold 1.8 million tickets and should top the 2 million mark. Allegheny County (where Pittsburgh is located) has a population of 1.3 million people. In contast, Boston who has a population of 8 million people, sold a total of 2.8 million tickets (number would be higher if they had a bigger park but you get the point I'm trying to make).

So just because ticket sales might be low overall, in comparison to size, the Pirates are a pretty good draw.

This then is directly related to the hockey market that I'm talking about. Add in that the Pens have THE star of the NHL (I don't care for him but there's no debating Lemieux isn't a living legend and one of if not the most liked hockey player) and that the Pens logo is the best selling in all the NHL, the Pens can hang with just about any other market (relative of course).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now with the Crosby pickup and it looks like the Pens will be buyers once FA market opens up, they won back my patronage because it looks like they're going to try to be competitive and not just put 18 bums on the ice just to put more money in Lemieux's pocket. They have no excuses now...

[/ QUOTE ]

Buyers in the Free Agent market? hahaha the jokes keep on coming.

I can picture it now the Pens new roster:

Lemieux, Cosbey, Recchi and ... and ... hmmmm .... 17 other people no one ever heard of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to do some research before you make yourself look dumb.

Facts :

1)The team is in the process of being sold. Obviously a contender will raise the value of the team.

2)A contender will "grease" the wheels in getting a new arena. Pittsburgh has never been bad at spending money on a good team (think the Steelers had a problem getting a stadium?)

3)Pens currently have 7 million towards salaries for 05-06. Lemieux and Morozov and possible new deals for Fleury, Malkin and Crosby not included.

4)Pens have already said they plan on spending towards the top of the cap (although I suspect because of #1 it will be maxed out)

5)Ticket sales are already going crazy... crazy enough that a deal already pretty much in place to sell the Pens has been taken off the table for restructuring

6)I've heard of a number of FA's talk openly about possibly coming to Pittsburgh, namely Kovey, Lang (if he gets dropped which he expects) and Niedermayer. Kovey and Lang are pretty obvious as they never wanted to leave in the first place but were dumped because of salary. Niedermayer though who would probably request the max (around 9 million) is an obvious sign that the Pens will be buyers. I'm sure he didn't name drop the Pens to scare NJ.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I'm not used to speaking to people outside of the area about sports. When I talk to someone around here, they understand what I mean so let me try to explain.

When I'm talking about as big of a hockey market, I'm talking in relative terms.

For instance (sorry for the baseball reference but I know actual numbers here), the Pirates so far this year have sold 1.8 million tickets and should top the 2 million mark. Allegheny County (where Pittsburgh is located) has a population of 1.3 million people. In contast, Boston who has a population of 8 million people, sold a total of 2.8 million tickets (number would be higher if they had a bigger park but you get the point I'm trying to make).

So just because ticket sales might be low overall, in comparison to size, the Pirates are a pretty good draw.

This then is directly related to the hockey market that I'm talking about. Add in that the Pens have THE star of the NHL (I don't care for him but there's no debating Lemieux isn't a living legend and one of if not the most liked hockey player) and that the Pens logo is the best selling in all the NHL, the Pens can hang with just about any other market (relative of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

What do the pirates attendance average a game? less then 20,000? and they have a new stadium. I dont know how many were sold, i thought no one was going. I dont really care about baseball and I dont doubt pitt fans are loyal, the market is just not on the same level as a NYC, Chicago, Boston, Phili based on size/population.

The Pens logo is the best selling? Better then red wings, rangers, the leafs?

[ QUOTE ]

Might want to do some research before you make yourself look dumb.

Facts :

1)The team is in the process of being sold. Obviously a contender will raise the value of the team.

2)A contender will "grease" the wheels in getting a new arena. Pittsburgh has never been bad at spending money on a good team (think the Steelers had a problem getting a stadium?)

3)Pens currently have 7 million towards salaries for 05-06. Lemieux and Morozov and possible new deals for Fleury, Malkin and Crosby not included.

4)Pens have already said they plan on spending towards the top of the cap (although I suspect because of #1 it will be maxed out)

5)Ticket sales are already going crazy... crazy enough that a deal already pretty much in place to sell the Pens has been taken off the table for restructuring

6)I've heard of a number of FA's talk openly about possibly coming to Pittsburgh, namely Kovey, Lang (if he gets dropped which he expects) and Niedermayer. Kovey and Lang are pretty obvious as they never wanted to leave in the first place but were dumped because of salary. Niedermayer though who would probably request the max (around 9 million) is an obvious sign that the Pens will be buyers. I'm sure he didn't name drop the Pens to scare NJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your 100% right, this "research" is all correct, the Pens will definately spent the cap max (about $40 million) on team salaries, and they will sign Kov, Lang and Neidermayer (at $9 mil a year).

btw, paying Neidermayer $9 mil a year will make him the most expense player in the league under the new league contract agreement. But your right the Pens will pay that.