Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Rugby World XV

If you were to pick a world rubgy 15 from the last 15 years what would it look like. I've chosen the last 15 years because I'm young, and therefore find it hard to pick players who i haven't seen play and are before my time. Obviously if i was picking an all time 15 guys like Meads and Nepia would be there.

Heres my team

1. Craig Dowd
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Olo Brown
4. John Eales
5. Martin Johnson
6. Michael Jones
7. Ritchie Macaw
8. ZinZan Brooke
9. George Gregan
10. Daniel Carter
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Jeremy Guscott
13. Brian O'driscall
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Cristian Cullen

Reserves
Richard Low
Phil Kearns
Victor Matfield
Buck Shelford
Joost Van Der Westhasen
Steven Larkam
Tana Umunga
Joe Roff

Hardest position to pick was by far 1st 5/8. So many great candidates including Mehterns, Spencer, Stransky, Fox, Linagh, Larkham and Wilkonson. I went Carter because I believe he has more raw talent than any of these players and will show it in years to come. Don't know a lot about front rows, its hard to judge, so went with the all black front row of 1995-97 basicly because they dominated world rugby in this time. The All Blacks team of 96-97 is the best team I have seen in my life.Went with the All Black back 3 of this time too because they are soo telented, at their best they were unbelievable. As for the captain of this team it was too hard to decide, so many good candidates like Eales, Fitzpatrick, Macaw, Gregan, Johnson.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Rugby World XV

I've only gotten into rugby the past couple of years, but I would have to put andrew mehrtens over daniel carter at the flyhalf position. I also think that Bakkies Botha and Lawerence Dallaglio are big omissions, but like I said, I have only been really watching for the past couple of years, and really know very little about pre-2002/2001 rugby
Old 08-10-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only gotten into rugby the past couple of years, but I would have to put andrew mehrtens over daniel carter at the flyhalf position. I also think that Bakkies Botha and Lawerence Dallaglio are big omissions, but like I said, I have only been really watching for the past couple of years, and really know very little about pre-2002/2001 rugby

[/ QUOTE ]

Botha is a very good lock, but I think its very hard to go past Eales and Johnson, both are great players. Dellagio is also a very fine player, just don't think he was as good as Brooke. For the Mehterns decision it was tough. I think Stranksky was best in 95, Mehterns in 96 onwards, Lahrkam in 99, Wilkonson Best in 2000-2001, Carter best now and Spencer has so much talent. All have different styles which made it even more difficult. Carter is yet to prove himself over time, but I think he may be one of the all time greats.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:26 AM

I love carter's skills and he is a major upgrade over spencer. NOt that spencer is a bad player, its just that carter has that magic that made andrew mehrtens so great at fly half. I think McCallister(is that his name?) is one to watch out for too, and the All Blacks will have fun selection problems at the fly half and full back positions with those two. If you can put both of them on the field together then you have a very potent lineup. I do think that at some point in the future that Schalk Burger will end up being one of the great blindside flanker and that Clyde Rathbone will end up being a great wing too