Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Rugby

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I assume everyone in this thread is referring to Union, not League? If so, you all suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

League is gimmicky.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Anyway, this argument is older than the hills and I can't really be bothered getting into it. If you'd seen the Challenge Cup final on Saturday it would be near impossible for a neutral to argue Union was better.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I assume everyone in this thread is referring to Union, not League? If so, you all suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

League is gimmicky.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Anyway, this argument is older than the hills and I can't really be bothered getting into it. If you'd seen the Challenge Cup final on Saturday it would be near impossible for a neutral to argue Union was better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious are you... For a start you're talking about the chellenge cup which is played for in the UK. Down here UK rugby league is considered a joke and the only real rugby league that exists is the Australian NRL competition (demonsrated by the huge margin Australia beat Great Britian by last time they played). So already by even mentioning the chellenge cup you have lost all credibility.

And if you want to talk about watching games perhaps you should look at a rugby game played just a few days ago between New zealand and South Africa and you tell me any rugby league game that's ever been played which even comes to this game and many other rugby games been played.

In the league vs union debate union is the winner and its not even close.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not serious are you... For a start you're talking about the chellenge cup which is played for in the UK. Down here UK rugby league is considered a joke and the only real rugby league that exists is the Australian NRL competition (demonsrated by the huge margin Australia beat Great Britian by last time they played). So already by even mentioning the chellenge cup you have lost all credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so confused as to the results of the last two World Club Challenge games.

[ QUOTE ]
And if you want to talk about watching games perhaps you should look at a rugby game played just a few days ago between New zealand and South Africa and you tell me any rugby league game that's ever been played which even comes to this game and many other rugby games been played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit I didn't watch this, though I have watched a fair amount of RU in the last few years. Regardless, if you take any State of Origin game from the last 5 years I'd imagine it would walk all over it.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so confused as to the results of the last two World Club Challenge games.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit I didn't watch this, though I have watched a fair amount of RU in the last few years. Regardless, if you take any State of Origin game from the last 5 years I'd imagine it would walk all over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmao, the club champion game is treated as a completely meaningless preseason game by teams on this part of the world. The UK superleague is a retirement village for washed up former nrl players who are no longer good enough no make it in the nrl so they head to the UK for a nice pay packet to end their career. There are countless nrl players who were no longer up to playing tough rugby league but become stars again in UK rugby league. The fact that you are trying to say the club championship is justification for UK rugbly league being a reasonable standard further reduces any credibility and shows that you really do have no idea what you're talking about.

I have watched every origin game from the last 12 years or so. And yes there have been some great games played, and this is the pinacle of rugby league. However a great game of league doesn't come close to the quality of a great game of union. The fact that youre talking about origin games from the last 5 years brings your credibility down to 0 because the standard of state of origin has gone down massively in this period as players like lewis, langer, maninga, daley, fitler etc have retired.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:43 PM

The fact that you keep using the phrase 'brings down your credibility' brings down your credibility.

I threw in the WCC as a cheap jab, I'm aware it means pretty little, and were the Aussies to prepare properly, they'd wipe the floor with us every time.

The 5 years thing was just me comparing a current game with some recent rugby league ones.

You obviously know what you're talking about so basically we'll just have to agree to disagree. My personal taste is for a fast and skillful game; league fits those requirements.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:48 PM

By beginning to play this game, you are about to become a man. For that, I salute you.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly how big does one need to be in order to play rugby?

As in, I'm 5'10 and 155lbs. Would they let me on the field?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played mostly flyhalf and sometimes full at 6' 175 or so. Our Scrum half was the smallest guy on the team at about 5'8 150 or so.

I wouldn't let 5'10 and 155 stop you from trying it. In the backfield speed, endurance, and ball handling ability are more important than size. If it turns out you like the game and culture you will probably want to do some extensive training, especially in the off-season which can lead to more muscle and more weight.