Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: WSOP \"My son dropped out of college to internet poker and we\'re pr

well everyones different, im not going to tell someone else how to live their life or what they will find satisfying. but to me, poker is not very fulfilling, at least in the long run. its not about money.

if there are people who know they were born to be a pro poker player, good for them, do it. but thats not me. i also wouldnt let my kid drop out of college to play poker, or i would at least do everything i could to stop it. i think its a poor decision, if you can afford it.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: WSOP \"My son dropped out of college to internet poker and we\'re pr

That depends on how much happiness you have and how you contribute to society.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 PM

If I had a kid i wouldn't let them drop out to play poker. in fact my parents won't let me drop out and play poker. but the difference between me and my parents is that if my kid wanted to play poker proffesionally after college i'd be down
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 PM

All I can say is that Im happy my parents never forced me to finish college.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
parents should not be proud of this, that doesnt mean college kids shouldnt play poker, but if i dropped out of college to play poker professionally unless i become incredibly rich (making 200K a year is not rich) i would view my life as a failure in many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

I have a degree in accounting and I hate my career. I couldn't care less about my degree, because I'm not happy in my career choice. If playing poker makes you happy and it allows you to live the way you want to, that's good enough for me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you a CPA? i have to decide my degree pretty soon. thinking about accounting and being a CPA. why don't you like it? they had this presentation in my accounting class, it said that accounting majors make the most money straight out of college then any other major.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had a kid i wouldn't let them drop out to play poker. in fact my parents won't let me drop out and play poker. but the difference between me and my parents is that if my kid wanted to play poker proffesionally after college i'd be down

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Maybe thats why you don't have any children, because you view them as "things" to have control over and not individuals to shape into better people. I love my parents very much not only for the morals and values that they instilled in me, but for the freedom and support that they gave me in all aspects of my life. I paid for college 100%, which is why the choice was mine and mine alone. If you watch the coverage and/or read the newspaper articles that have been written on the subject, you will see that my mother was always somewhat against the notion of me "gambling" for a living, but over time grew to understand that it was a viable career choice, and one that I exhibited proficient skill at to be successful at a high level. This is what good parents do: they SUPPORT even if they are not fully convinced themselves, because they trust that the way they raised their child will help him/her make the correct decisions in life, and that he/she will have to learn from mistakes made in life.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 PM

Aaron,

You tellem".... CU later...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Maybe thats why you don't have any children, because you view them as "things" to have control over and not individuals to shape into better people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt the immediate cause of his lack of children is his objectification of children-that's hardly ever the deciding factor for most women.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 PM

The reason I don't' have children yet is that I'm 21 and I still have lots to do before i get married and have children.

And I guess what I said wasn't the best way to say it. I don't mean to objectify children the way i said it just made it seem that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really wanted to say that I would give more trust and support to my children in their future choice of profession than my parents have given me.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
parents should not be proud of this, that doesnt mean college kids shouldnt play poker, but if i dropped out of college to play poker professionally unless i become incredibly rich (making 200K a year is not rich) i would view my life as a failure in many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would becoming 'incredibly rich' playing poker make any difference to the merits of the activity? And I'm guessing your criteria for 'incredibly rich' excludes all living poker players, or what can be made playing poker.

And all this piffle about contributing to society....

How many college grads really contribute to the betterment of human kind?

Very few people have the talent to really make a difference to humanity, and most college grads are thinking about making bucks, not improving society.

If you can make a living playing poker and that floats your boat, is that any worse than grinding it out as a miserable mid-level manager/executive for some multinational?

And yes, Bush proves you can underachieve your whole life, and still become the 'leader of the free world.' To which I reply - the first rule of ethical conduct is "do no harm." [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]