Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Common situation

So, this happens about 100 times a day to me. And I'm curious what everyone else does in these situations.

I open raise a decent ace. One LP and BB call. Flop is 3 cards that miss me but I have two overs and it's a fairly uncoordinated board. BB...let's say he's about a 35/5/1.5 or so and seems to have learned what little poker skill he has from watching the world poker tour on TV...bets.

What's your line?

What if it's HU?

What it it's a more coordinated board but not really matching your hand?

What if you have K/Q high instead?

What if you have one overcard...say AJ on a Q72 flop?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Common situation

Just draw to your outs. I'll raise maybe 10% just for shania's stake or if I have a read.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-27-2005, 01:17 PM

Smiley,

So you don't typically bother showing down AJ-AK unimproved on a fairly non-threatening board against this opponent? Obviously I'm referring to the times it results in being HU by the turn/river. Do you call the flop and fold the turn?

Chief
Old 08-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Yes, that's my default. I used to try to win these pots, I still do sometimes - again with a read or with additional outs. But if a board is uncoordinated I'll just draw, if I don't hit a fold is fine.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-27-2005, 03:03 PM

It depends a great deal on the opponent and I try to make notes on plays like this it is so common. With most players though it means they have something, either a pair (I've seen it done with as little as pocket deuces) or a decent draw. I don't usually see it done with weak draws. In a dcecent sized pot obviously draw to your outs, and headsup against players who you know will bet weaker pairs and draws consider raising the turn for a free showdown. If you don't do it every time it makes a very effective semi-bluff since it imitates waiting for the turn to raise, and you will beat draws that don't hit the river.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:19 PM

Raising the turn for a free showdown is a very overused play IMO.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-27-2005, 03:19 PM

I like Smiley's line.

Against a passive oppo a freecard play may be appropriate too.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:54 PM

peel and fold.

nate did a post a while back about when are good situations to raise just overcards on the flop after a lead bet when you were the pfr.

raising here is a mistake, but its not likely to be a very big one, which is why people still do it. they don't have the "feel" or the "stats" to realize they're losing cents on their raise.

not saying i'd never raise here, but calling > raising in this spot.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
peel and fold.

nate did a post a while back about when are good situations to raise just overcards on the flop after a lead bet when you were the pfr.

raising here is a mistake, but its not likely to be a very big one, which is why people still do it. they don't have the "feel" or the "stats" to realize they're losing cents on their raise.

not saying i'd never raise here, but calling > raising in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2005, 06:28 PM

OK, here's why I asked. Peel and fold was always my default line...as it seems is typical. For the last, maybe 12k hands I've been peeling and raising the turn with a good ace and a board that obviously it's more likely to be good on...and in HU situations where it's more likely my opponent is just betting crap. So far I'm showing a pretty significant profit. Of course, I'm not doing it 100% of the time. Only if I notice an opponent betting out often. So, I guess that's a little more specific than what I gave. Anyway, like I said peel and fold is more or less a default for me as well. I guess I've just been paying more attention to who bets into me too often to always have a hand recently...especially now that I'm finally getting comfortable playing 8 tables.