Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Thursday morning reflections (low content)

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to add a couple things:
1. Quit obsessing over stats.
2. Quit slowplaying. Someone made a comment that fastplaying is the new slowplaying, I agree 100% with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto....

3. Limp-reraising in "IN" this season.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have a lot more respect for a person who continually tries but answers wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have a TON of respect for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sfer I think said it well yesterday as have others (Clarkmeister) that one reason this forum hasn't been as good lately is that very boring, mundane, standard hand or stats posts get 50 replies while anything worth discussing goes straight to page 3 with one or two responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this happens, but I think the reason is a bit more subtle than just people don't want to look bad (although that certainly comes into play).

The problem is that for any hand where the play is not obvious, it turns out that the answer depends on the opponent. Since we often get no reads, or just PT auto-rate reads, there is no way to answer. It is not that the hand is not interesting, it is just that the interesting part is not available to us, and so it is hard to discuss.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People are afraid to be wrong because they don't want to be berated for their incorrect comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really important, and I feel it comes down to a security issue for the poster and his character. You HAVE to learn to love to be vocal and be wrong...this isn't an easy thing to do. A fool despises correction. Exposing your ignorance is the only way to get rid of it. Most everything I learned in this forum happened because I said something wrong - got flamed - begged the flamer to take me by the hand and lead me to the light.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lost about 150 BB in the last two days. It's the fourth time online I've had a big downswing and the first time I truly don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed this Matt. I keep tabs on your game, cause I'm a fan, and I hope I'm a friend as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I asked you last night how you were doing and you said "OK"...good stuff. Now should I post another whining post about losing 75BBs? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
very boring, mundane, standard hand or stats posts get 50 replies while anything worth discussing goes straight to page 3 with one or two responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem here is that people just are not readnig other's responses. I'm finding that reading threads in flat mode is quite useful for this. If someone already got a response, and it's the one you were going to give...leave it alone.

Props to Jordan

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet money that more than half of the posters here never once during an online session think about the range of hands of an opponent and run through the combinations they beat compared to the combinations they don't beat when making a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'm workin on it Math, GOSH!! (Yes, a Napolean Dynamite reference) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People are afraid to be wrong because they don't want to be berated for their incorrect comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fool despises correction. Exposing your ignorance is the only way to get rid of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why it takes 50 people responding to mundane posts and basic hands. Sometimes people have thick skulls. No one really knows who is a good player or not and someone's "standard advice" may be frequently off. By someone I mean me.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:01 PM

I think most people can recognize without 50 posts that raising with ducks UTG isn't the best idea.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just messin with you dude...DANG!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) My variance is like 17.2 BB/100. It sucks sometimes. It's great other times. It doesn't matter. I'm no more an expert player on a really good night than I am a bad player on a really bad night. I lost about 150 BB in the last two days. It's the fourth time online I've had a big downswing and the first time I truly don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am starting to realize this also. My last 10k have been sub-par to say the least. That is why you must keep your roll big and your head up. Constantly improving your game is hard when you are always questioning it. Poker sucks sometimes.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:06 PM

<begging>

Take me by the hand and lead to the light of this "flat" mode you talk about.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 PM

You'll find this towards the top right of a post. Click it and watch what happens.

Previous Index Next Flat