Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 04:02 AM

Default 75o

40/80 6handed. Im playing like 40/28, opponent is bit tighter(but not a nit) and plays very well overall.

UTG opens, SB calls and I call on BB with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] SB checks, I check, UTG bets, SB calls, I checkraise UTG three bets SB folds and I cap.

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] bet-raise-call

River Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] check-call

What ya think?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: 75o

fold preflop?

looks like spew to me. If you are playing kinda laggy, I dont think hes raising the turn with a hand you beat, hed go into call down mode if he didnt believe you with a worse hand, here I think hes going for value. Especially if its coming from a tighter plays very well UTG raiser, so I call and then fold river unless I improve.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:03 AM

Preflop: fold
Flop: I don't like the cap. Unless he over plays overcards, you're an equity underdog at this point.
Turn: His raise here confirms you're behind.
River: You have zero chance to win.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:16 AM

nh, villain showed kjc. and this game is easy.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:21 AM

Dont tell anyone, but I actually lost this hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 07:24 AM

Why would you fold preflop? Two other playrs to flop, 75 is rarely dominated. Folding didin't even come to mind, but I might be too loose from blinds anyway..

The flop cap was maybe bit loose, but I had a feeling he might three bet here pretty loosely. With like A4 or A-big.
And aswell wanted to make little metagame play, most of the time I cap only extremely good hands. So I thought I could maybe benefit of this cap later. That might be false thinking. Top to that even if I'm behind I have likely some outs.

Turn whatever not much I can do after I played flop that way.

River I don't like folding pairs to one bet on river [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 07:53 AM

You're playing 40/28. If most of your hands aren't 3 or 4-handed, you're way too loose and it's not even close. I personally wouldn't be crazy about calling 75s in this spot let alone 75o. Also, you mentioned your opponent plays very well overall. This makes me want to tighten up even more as he has position postflop AND superior postflop skills.

You're not worried about being dominated here, you're worried about when you do hit a pair, losing to a bigger pair, plain and simple. Hands need to be strong in at least 2 of 3 areas (suitedness, connectedness, high card strength) to continue on here; and yours is marginal in only one.

[ QUOTE ]
The flop cap was maybe bit loose, but I had a feeling he might three bet here pretty loosely. With like A4 or A-big.

[/ QUOTE ]
Remember, he opened UTG. You said he played well, but you didn't give specifics. What's his PFR? Is he likely to 3-bet in this spot with just overs? Also, he's not just 3-betting you but SB who's still in at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
And aswell wanted to make little metagame play, most of the time I cap only extremely good hands. So I thought I could maybe benefit of this cap later. That might be false thinking. Top to that even if I'm behind I have likely some outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
You most likely have a ton of outs. So why not wait to put more money in when one of them hits and you're ahead? You are using deception at this point and representing a hand stronger than what you have. But unless your opponent spews draws or overs, he seems to have a pretty good bead on you and is repeatedly telling you you're behind. Metagame, it just shows you can spew.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn whatever not much I can do after I played flop that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe so, but again you could go down into "check/call UI" mode at any time.

[ QUOTE ]
River I don't like folding pairs to one bet on river

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to ask yourself if you're ahead here ~1 in 13 times. Judging by your read and seeing the action, I'd say no. Don't just have a rule and blindly follow it. Have some reasoning behind your decision. If that's your attitude, what he's doing is called value betting.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:14 AM

Good post and great questions.

Preflop, I play (too?) loose. My calling standrards here are very loose, allmost everything suited, connected or one gapped starting from 64, hand that both cards are over 7.

I should have specified. I was playing about 40/28 that session, which was about 200 hands deep. Overall I play tighter. Opponent is 27/17 over lot of hands.

When I made the check-raise I thought I'm ahead here most of the time. SB isin't really an problem, because he seems to jam pots immidietly with good hands and draws. So I put him on either overcards or some kind of a weak draw.
When he three bets, I thought he might try to get free turn(something that he has done) so I decided to cap it here aswell as for the meta game reasons as said.

"Don't fold a pair on river" isin't a rule or so, but when the pot is big and i'm not against a nit I just don't fold there often.

In this hand happened exactly what you said about loosing to bigger pair when I hit my own. Opponent had 77 and completely outplayed me.

Live and learn..
Old 12-23-2005, 08:43 AM

i think you played fine except for river.
time for big laydown.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:42 PM

IMO this is a great flop to donk. Ppl mostly can't resist raising Ax when they have a wheel draw too.