Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 AM

Default I warn you, don\'t watch this video (anti-fur vid)

Before you watch this video, please read what I'm going to say. bad video

This is a video of animals being skinned in preparation from being turned into fur coats.

Now, before I saw this, I wasn't against fur coats. I mean, if you breed animals for the purpose of having fur coats, then it's kinda the same as breeding them for food.

However, in this video, it shows animals being skinned alive, being very much conscious of the process of being skinned, and being discarded, after being skinned, while still alive (not being killed mercifully).

I'd always wondered how they had fox-heads in fur coats, paws, etc. I mean, didn't they kill the animals by shooting them / slitting their throats before they skinned them?

Apparently not, I guess.

If this is what truly happens, then this sort of thing should be stopped. It's not decent, basically. I don't know what to say other than that.

My only concern here is that this may be a "propaganda film", and that this may not be the general truth about the process that these animals go through before/during being skinned.

Does anyone on here have any actual knowledge of this field that can be backed up by a source other than this video?

Any comments if you do choose to watch the video? (I again state that this is a really graphic video, you probably don't want to see it.)

--Dave.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: I warn you, don\'t watch this video (anti-fur vid)

i personally see no problem with the fur industry. just think back to the old days.. way back. people would just kill animals and use them for fur, meat, whatever. it's not my bag to torture animals for thier fur, or for any reason, but if people want fur, there are animals out there with it, i think they have a right to get it (sadly).
Old 10-13-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i personally see no problem with the fur industry. just think back to the old days.. way back. people would just kill animals and use them for fur, meat, whatever. it's not my bag to torture animals for thier fur, or for any reason, but if people want fur, there are animals out there with it, i think they have a right to get it (sadly).

[/ QUOTE ]

I see. Since they did it in the "old days" it must be alright.

I'm off to buy a slave now.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 AM

I'm not going to watch this, but is this a PETA project? They use sensationalism a lot and most of it isn't common place, it's true, but not typical.

I have leather, lots of leather, I always assumed it came from calls that were being killed for meat, is this the case, does anybody know? You never hear people complain about leather, so I always figured it was good use of an existing biproduct.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 AM

The truth.

While I'm not saying this never happens, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to risk damage to your valuable skin by letting it struggle while you attempt to claim it.

It wouldn't be the first time anti-cruelty/murder/abortion activists have resorted to using the very techniques they claim to be against to support their cause.

I'm not making a plea or offering an opinion for either side, but the cruelty of mankind is, without question, unmatched in this world.

<font color="teal">~TG</font> [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see. Since they did it in the "old days" it must be alright.

I'm off to buy a slave now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're making an argument (sarcasically) that i never made.

anyway by old days i was talking about way back when you had to kill to survive.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to watch this, but is this a PETA project?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Swedish group's effort picked up by PETA.

Without a doubt this sort of thing happens, but I don't believe it is a common practice, or as widespread as they would like you to believe.

And yes, staged or not, the film was quite ghastly.

<font color="teal">~TG</font>
Old 10-13-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn cmon. who cares what they did in the old days.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 AM

As you stated in your post, you should be more concerned about the source of this video. Your link takes me to some weird Spanish (I presume) language site, with a video that is introduced by weird asian (I presume) characters. The spanishness of this website adds a shady factor of maybe a 4, ie. it is 4 times more shady than the average english language website dealing with the same content. The asian characters of the video add a shady factor of about 20, as in any video that's from asia is at least 20 times more shady than a video from the United States or Canada. So already this source is about 80 times more shady than it's English speaking north american counterpart, and when you add in the factor that these Animal rights people are generally a bunch of kooks to begin with, this is a pretty poor source.

Basically, Hollywood stars are not walking around with coats made of racoons slayed by Ahn Jung-Hwan in Nam Dinh.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyway by old days i was talking about way back when you had to kill to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing.. just as in nature today animals will consume each other alive, lay eggs so the larva can devour them alive, etc. The difference is that is about survival and the propagation of the species, we do it to look good.

I don't have a wholesale objection to the fur industry, or any consumption of animal products... it's the methods and the demand I despise. Nature can be unbelieveably cruel. Mankind is unnecessarily cruel.

<font color="teal">~TG</font>