Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Stuey, Stuey, Stuey, How We Loved You So

Stu Ungar was a genius, that’s for sure. He was also a compulsive gambler, and later an extremely addicted drug addict. I never really knew how brilliant the guy was, and there were a lot of loose ends, stories, myths and other tidbits that got cleared up in Dalla and Alson’s book—One of a Kind.

Ungar put the fear of God in people. He was relentlessly aggressive. Did he make bad reads—of course. Did he make brilliant calls—more than his share. The guy had a mind that could count down a two-deck shoe—but he was horribly flawed.

Stu Ungar was an action junkie. Winning at poker and gin became boring, and since he had to be in action 24/7 he turned to horses, sports, dogs, golf and whatever. He had some success in those arenas, including a 1.8 million dollar pick-six win, (his biggest win ever) but he was a big net loser at anything other than gin and poker (and perhaps backgammon.)

A couple of decades ago (give or take) I was playing 5-10-25 no-limit hold’em at the Horseshoe, and on the next game over was Stuey, Jack Strauss, Bobby Baldwin and a few of the boys. Jack raised before the flop and Stuey called. The flop came 7-6-2. Stuey checked and Struass made a big bet—Stuey called. The turn was a six and Stuey made a good size bet. Strauss showed 7-2 and pitched his hand in the muck. Stuey also showed 7-2.

Stuey and a bunch of guys were playing in a two-table satellite for the 10K tournament and the guy running the satellite had 18 cards in his hand, which he dealt out to assign seats. The first three cards he dealt off in order were the AC, 2C and the 3C.

Stuey yelled out, “That’s 5000 to one (actually 4895), I’m not going for it!” A big stink ensued, and the floorman shuffled and dealt out the cards again.

Another time I was standing right behind Stuey in a big no-limit game and on the flop all he had was a back-door flush draw. A guy bet about $5000, which was around the size of the pot and Stuey called in a flash. The turn was a brick and Stuey mucked his hand immediately without waiting for the guy to do anything. I had no idea what he was thinking. Maybe if he got on, he might get a free card? The guy might check trying for a raise. Maybe he would make a weak bet. Who knows? The guy showed a set of fives. I still don’t understand that play, but that was Stuey.

Stuey had some amazing successes, but I’ve seen him go off just as many times as I’ve seen him sack up the game. He was a notorious steamer.

But the most dramatic thing I remember about Stu Ungar was his transformation in the nineties. I mean his physical transformation. I was stunned by his appearance, not having seen him in a few years, and I knew immediately it was from coke. His nose, well, it was almost gone, and he wore the shades down low to try and hide the damage. Yet, shortly thereafter, that year or the next he won the WSOP one more time. The year after that he was too [censored] up to defend his title.

Obviously, Stu Ungar had some kind of compartmentalized brain capable of complex mathematical and memorization wizardry. He used these skills to great advantage. He was one of the best of his time. He also had tremendous faults. And, sadly, near the age of 40 drug use ended his life.

Whatever you think of him, genius or fool, the best, or just another go off—Stu Ungar truly was, “One of a Kind.”
Old 07-05-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Stuey, Stuey, Stuey, How We Loved You So

definitely an awesome read.

the end was shocking, said he won over 30million gambling in his lifetime- yet needed to have a collection plate passed around at the funeral to pay for his burial...

so gifted yet so destructive.