Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 01:11 AM

Default TAG not making money?

If I'm classified by PT as TAG (tight aggressive good), I should be making money on the lower limit ring tables right?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: TAG not making money?

Only if your aggression is appropriate for the situation. Just because your stats are, say, 17.9/9/2.4, this doesn't mean that you're necessarily being aggressive at the right times...

On the other hand, I do think that some who is pretty tight pre-flop and not completely retarded postflop can win almost despite himself at the lower limits. As you move up, however, postflop play becomes more important.

Also, if you haven't played very many hands (less than 30K), you may just be experiencing variance if you're currently losing.

Tom
Old 10-13-2005, 01:35 AM

I agree with JT. First, PT is taking a database of hand histories and trying to classify you into one of 15 categories. Of course, being considered a TAG is good, but as JT pointed out, having good numbers may not always translate into success.

Also, how many HHs are in your PT? If it's below 25k, I wouldn't put too much stock in the results thusfar. Over time, and with a greater sample size, the numbers will be more useful.

Finally, even though you may be playing good, aggressive poker, you may not be a winning player for a number of reasons. First, you may have a leak or two in your game (heck, we all do) that is costing you the slight edge you may have. Second, you may be getting cold-decked. You can raise every time with monsters, but preflop favorites don't always win. Finally, depending on how low the limits are that you play at, you may be up against too many bad players at the same table. I know this may sound weird, but if you've got a lot of people sticking around too long with sub-par hands, it's likely that even if you're the favorite after the flop, you may be less than a 50% favorite because of all of the drawing hands your opponents have.

Of course, the fact that you are a TAG is a good sign that you are on the right track and making some excellent preflop and flop decisions, regardless of whether your monetary results reflect that.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:07 AM

thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I am under 25k hands. But the monetary results aren't pretty and they are absolutly killing my bankroll, even at micro limits.

BTW here are my specs: VP$IP 21.76, PFR 8.12, W$SD 54.17
Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 AM

One important point is what rules you are using to define TAG...my PT classifies over 20VPIP as semi-loose.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:49 AM

23% VPIP or lower as tight, 8% or higher PFR as aggressive. 50-57% as good.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:43 AM

I play 2/4 $ limit with 15/7/2 and have found out that there are many overaggressive TAGs around.

Being TAG is not enough to make good amount of money, more important is to play well post-flop. Aggression is a tool to play good poker. Only being aggressive does not pay.

When pots are multiway best hand usually wins and being overaggressive with medicore holdings is big leak. When pots are 2-3 handed you must be aggressive and fight hard for pots.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 AM

These are not the only important stats. Maybe you could be going to the river to much and fold for about 50% or more by then. If you play SH you could be stealing not enough. You could also be to passive postflop. There are a lot of statistics which determine your winning rate. And besites 25k hands is still not enough to see. A friend of mine who is usually a big winning player at 10-20 just had a -450BB downswing in 40K hands. Play about 60K hands just as tight as you do right now and look at your stats at PT. If you are still a losing player you might consider to lower down a level. Succes with you poker carreer.

Greeting, Stefan
Old 10-13-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TAG (tight aggressive good)

[/ QUOTE ]

LAG (loose agressive good)
Old 10-13-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
VP$IP 21.76, PFR 8.12, W$SD 54.17

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 - Those aren't TAG stats (and there are important stats missing).

#2 - The W$SD is typical of a winning player which leads me to believe that when you post your WSD% it will be outside the range of a winning player (i.e. either your folding winning hands or you're calling down too much).

#3 - What's your Aggression Factor?

#4 - It's likely that your results are poor because one (or both) of the following two statements are true: A) You don't play very well after the flop or B) These stats are based on a small sample size which is really only reflecting a bad run of cards.

EDIT:

#5 - What are your stealing stats? Att to steal, folded BB/SB to steal

#6 - What limit are you playing?