Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 AM

Default $11 - 1st hand 22

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t40</font>, SB calls t40, BB folds.

Turn: (t140) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, SB calls t100.

River: (t380) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t380

1st hand so no reads. How's my line?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: $11 - 1st hand 22

This is an easy pre-flop fold...

After the flop, I'd just check it down. Draw-heavy board, and you're barely a favorite over anything here.

Fold pre-flop.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:58 AM

I don't like your line. I would not openlimp with a PP smaller than 66. Your flopbet was okay, but personally i would have been done with the hand after not flopping a set. On the turn, do you think SB just donks a blocking bet? River is obvious check. I don't see anthything you beat here and doubt you were ahaed on the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:59 AM

Fold small pairs UTG preflop, even at low buyins.

Your attempt at leading the flop was very iffy. You tried to represent and were called.

Either come out strong preflop with the small pair trying to represent, or fold it in EP.

You have no idea where you stand as this was an unraised pot.

Check/fold the turn or river.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:02 AM

I don't like any of your line. Fold preflop. The bet on the flop wasn't atrocious, but the raise on the turn was. What hand do you you think you're beating here? If you would've checked the turn, you may have been able to convince the SB that you had a flush by throwing some chips at it, but I probably would've just checked behind, as low level players love calling with second or third pair.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 AM

This is ridiculous, not sure what you're doing here, fold preflop, check flop, check/fold turn etc
Old 12-19-2005, 11:06 AM

he's not UTG... but even from MP2 I still fold 22 here.

don't like your putting money in the on the flop, and his flat call on flop could mean a number of things... at the $11s, this normally means he's drawing (remember unraised pf) or that you're owned. i'm not sure you're ahead of too much here to warrant the turn raise.

get away from this hand. now.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Open limping any PP is fine at the 1500chip game (L1/L2-depends).

Finding yourself alone with the blinds, I don't even hate taking a stab at the flop. As draw friendly as it is, more difficult to sell the Ace without a PF raise (speaking of hand definition only, not saying you should have), checking behind here would have been better.

Seeing that you DID lead the flop, you shouldn't be looking to press harder now on the turn. Granted, his lead is likely a blocking one...FD/straight possibly, but you're setting yourself up for a big spew-adge of chips here. He's effectively telling you "I don't plan to go anywhere, so how about saving us both some chips". An unsuccessful 2nd attempt on this turn (which it will be) creates a river situation where you have next to zero showdown value. If he holds just a piece of this flop, you are only winning if you push him off on the river. Toss in your inability to consider such when a flush/straight draw completing card hits the river...you are just digging too deep a hole for yourself.

Your line should be more than an 'ok, now what?' approach as each street unfolds. Every action you take on one street effects the viable options you make for yourself on the next, and so on.

Edit: Maybe I better summarize - Yes, limp this from your position PF. Check/fold THIS flop &amp; beyond.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:29 AM

Why do people say to fold small pairs early? Just curious since I always limp any pair early. I only play them for set value. I assume the reason you play mid pairs is for set value correct? If so what is the difference in playing 77 for set value versus playing 22 for set value? Are you really that worried about being beaten by a bigger set if you play 22 - 66? But not worried about being beat by a bigger set with 77+? I have always been confused by this advice, just wondering if anyone can clear this up.

As for the question in the post, I personally like the preflop limp, everything after that is bad. Just check fold after you miss your set.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people say to fold small pairs early? Just curious since I always limp any pair early. I only play them for set value. I assume the reason you play mid pairs is for set value correct? If so what is the difference in playing 77 for set value versus playing 22 for set value? Are you really that worried about being beaten by a bigger set if you play 22 - 66? But not worried about being beat by a bigger set with 77+? I have always been confused by this advice, just wondering if anyone can clear this up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Middle pairs hold up without improvement more often than tiny pairs.

When you don't flop a set with 2-2, you will always have an underpair. Someone with bottom pair has you beat.

With 7-7, the flop will often come random crap like 3-5-J, and your 7-7 will be good here more often than not.

At the $11's many players will gladly play any ace. Your 7-7 will beat A-5 and A-3, you will get a little value from that. 2-2 is basically hopeless without a set.