Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-16-2005, 01:14 AM

Default ($22) Got myself in a bind with TPTK, need help

No read on villian, nothing to stand out before this hand.

1. How is my raise?

2. Now what?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter

Button (t720)
SB (t2080)
BB (t550)
UTG (t1725)
MP1 (t625)
MP2 (t830)
Hero (t1470)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t250) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t225</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t475</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: ($22) Got myself in a bind with TPTK, need help

I like raising preflop. Your raise on the flop looks good. Since he barely has any chips left, I push after he reraises. You're good more often than you need to be with these pot odds.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 AM

I'm not understanding the thought process behind your series of posts in the last couple of days. That being said, what's ur line here?

PF either raise or fold on level 3, with ur stack raise. The reason to do this is to get rid of Mr. QJo limper in EP who should be playing the $6s.

call the push.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:15 AM

I think on the flop you could have used less chips to communicate tptk perhaps t150?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:44 AM

"I'm not understanding the thought process behind your series of posts in the last couple of days. That being said, what's ur line here?

PF either raise or fold on level 3, with ur stack raise. The reason to do this is to get rid of Mr. QJo limper in EP who should be playing the $6s.

call the push."

This post seems completely contradictory. 1st, you want him to raise pf to get the guy out that obviously has him beat now. Then you want him to call the same guy who now has him beat. Huh?

I don't see anything too wrong with limping here. I'm thinking about trying it myself. As for the flop, I forget right now how many chips the villain has left, but if he has any after his raise, def fold. If he has none, def call.

moses
Old 12-16-2005, 07:13 AM

Obviously you cant fold, you are pot committed against that short stack.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not understanding the thought process behind your series of posts in the last couple of days. That being said, what's ur line here?

call the push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have huge problem limping preflop. Dont want to get into big pot with big stack just yet.... of course raising is quite fine as well.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see anything too wrong with limping here. I'm thinking about trying it myself. As for the flop, I forget right now how many chips the villain has left, but if he has any after his raise, def fold. If he has none, def call.

moses

[/ QUOTE ]

Moses, he has like 100 chips left or so.....I consider that none.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:49 PM

The reason why you have to raise preflop is because of MP1's chip stack.

By limping, you allow a situation to develop where he has 500+ chips and the pot is 250. That makes you both pot committed for the rest of his chips with just about any flop. (The same also goes for the BB, further complicating things.) But 3 other players are acting before him. They are likely to check when they hit well and either lead or put him all in when they catch a bit of it. This is not a good spot for you.

The key with this hand is to recognize this situation preflop and understand that since a limp pot-commits you against the short stack, you'd be much better off seeing 5 cards against only him.

So, you can make a standard raise and fold if the UTG limper comes back over the top of you if you are one of those people that thinks UTG limpers always have aces... or you can just put him all-in preflop.

I would probably make it 625 to go because it would be really hard to make a raise large enough to get rid of the big stacks that wouldn't commit you to the pot with your stack. So you may as well just let everybody know what's up: you want to race the short stack with a hand that is good enough to go all-in with.

Irieguy