Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Help, I\'m getting raped online (long)

saw this coming from your falling confidence I've noticed in your posts recently. Part of your problem is playing with no reads. 2 tabling you should be able to develop some:
Take notes on any semi-interesting hand you see shown down. I played ABC on paradise with no PT a while ago 3 tabling full and I played better due to the detailed notes I felt I was forced to make.

If you still can't get reads reduce to one table.

The biggest part of the learning curve for you will be that you have to become accustomed to all the different styles of play online vs the probably limited stuff you've seen in your home games.

I've looked at some of your posts, you've gotten into some crappy spots but didn't look like too much you can do.

For now, pass up marginal EV situations. Play weaktight, you are on a very limited role. Now is NOT the time to be taking coinflips or playing draws super aggressively. Variance can eat away short roles.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:56 AM

I would cash it out and wait until you have everything set up the way you want before playing again. Get pokertracker, get Neteller set up, get GT+, and then start from there. I like playing when there is nothing else to worry about.

Once you get everything set up, definitely start out on Party with a 500 deposit and claim their bonus. At the lowest stakes, bonus whoring is essential because it gives the biggest percentage increase to your hourly rate. Someone with an $8-10 hourly rate can practically double their hourly rate with bonus whoring at NL 25. Also, definitely play 6 max. The fact that you post at this site and have demonstrated that you have a thorough understanding of the game assures me that you will have no problem beating NL 25 6 max. Players make far too many mistakes for you not to make money.

I would recommend buying in short for your first 500 hands or so. It gets you use to seeing certain situations and doesn't really give you an opportunity to make a costly mistake. You will learn that anytime you have top pair beat at NL 25 and your opponent has top pair, you will get it all in as the favorite. I would recommend playing 1 table for your first 500-1000 hands also. I just think its good for hand reading, and getting used to online in general.

I'm also a college freshman and my parents had reservations about me playing poker in college, but its not a big deal. If I didn't play poker, I would just find some other way to waste my time. Early in the semester, I wasn't doing great in school, so I took a week off of poker. I spent the exact same amount of time on my homework. Instead of playing poker, I played Halo, or watched Sportscenter. I ended up doing alot better in school and learned my performance in school was independent of poker. The reason I wasn't doing that great was probably that it takes a little bit of time to adjust to college from high school, to get used to the exams and such.

If you need anymore advice from a college freshman who also started out about a year ago getting raped online, feel free to PM me.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:09 AM

How many tables do you play? I often play on my laptop with no PT and 2 table 6max, and can get a handle on the action at the tables pretty quickly. Only when feeling very good do I open a third on my laptop. I know others like TWP do more tables with no PT but I feel like with 2 tables and just diligent note taking I get a good handle on the players at my tables. So while PT is great for adding more tables it is certainly possible to win without it. I also suggest reducing the number of tables to 2 or 1 if you can handle it.

And you seem solid from your posts but if you're willing to buy in short to avoid turn/river decisions, then a review of all streets may be necessary. For example starting with PF, are you calling raises with easily dominated hands which lead to difficult flop decisions with TPDK? Are you following the 5/10 rule for PP's looking for sets?

Good luck with your journey, and you can build up from $100 if needed, it will just take longer than starting from $500.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, definitely play 6 max. The fact that you post at this site and have demonstrated that you have a thorough understanding of the game assures me that you will have no problem beating NL 25 6 max. Players make far too many mistakes for you not to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 6 max is full of action junkies but ... also full of harder decisions. 6 max can be way more profitable than full ring but ... I dont recomend for people on a downswing as variance is higher, full ring games are "safer". Overally nice post though.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:58 AM

To clarify, I play 2 tables of 10 full on party 25NL, and to be honest, I really need help concentrating on focusing on tables. Because of my short roll, I am buying in shorter, tightening up. I thought that set mining tactics would work, so oftentimes, I surf 2+2, chat, etc, where I should be studying the tables.

6-max is not a good idea for me right now I think. I opened a 6-max table today and the swings were far greater than a 10 full table. I really need to get the hang of this internet thing though.

I feel that I have a fairly good grasp of PF/postflop play, necessary for beating the 25NL at least. I think I've been getting hit by the deck lately, but its rough because my small roll can't take these hits.

Thanks for comments. My confidence is being blown out of the water, like a sinking ship. Maybe I should take a break or something.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:19 AM

I think you have answered your own questions. You have a short bankroll, don't pay attention while playing, have no confidence. I'm going to say you're not as good as you think you are based on the info above and the fact you probably got hit by the deck when you went on your initial run. Take a break, study, increase BR and try it again with discipline.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:31 AM

aces_dad: is that a wheaten terrier pup? i have one myself and they're great dogs..but they will act like pups their entire lives!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have answered your own questions. You have a short bankroll, don't pay attention while playing, have no confidence. I'm going to say you're not as good as you think you are based on the info above and the fact you probably got hit by the deck when you went on your initial run. Take a break, study, increase BR and try it again with discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never claimed to be a good player. I think I have the necessary skills in order to beat the 25NL, though. I agree on the lack of attention span- although its tough, I think I have ADD.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:44 AM

Personally, I would rather single table a 6max game than play 2 full tables (especially since you don't have PT). Playing one table allows you to focus more, make reads, etc.. Pay attention and I think you will be fine. Downswings suck, but they definitely happen. Losing 4 buyins in a day may hurt, but it happens to all of us. Make sure you are properly rolled to avoid going broke. GL.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:45 AM

It's actually a border terrier, now 2 years old ... named Ace, hence my handle. He's calming down around the house now but as a terrier will always be full of, meh, life. Very much people dogs though.

Hey isn't this a poker forum? Fold PF. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]