Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 03:57 AM

Default beginner book

what's the best book for a person who is an advanced hold'em player but wants to get into 7card stud?

i understand poker concepts, but i dont think im an "advanced 7 card stud" player, so not ready for the two plus two book.

Can anyone recommend me a beginner 7card stud book?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: beginner book

If you understand basic poker from playing holod'em 7csfap wouldn't be bad to start out with. If you think it will be, Roy West's book is decent. If your looking for a real play by play book that tells you the exact moves for whatever situation then check out Konstantine Otmer's book. But West's is the best beginner book I think.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:10 AM

Hi preiserone:

I disagree. As long as you are playing stud with a decent sized ante, which usually means a structure similar to $15-$30 or higher where the ante is $2 and the bring-in is $5, there is no beginner book that makes sense. That's because in these games you can't just play very tight and conservative and have any chance of winning.

On the other hand, if you are going to play in a game where the ante structure is small relative to the bets, then a book like that written by West will be okay.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-11-2005, 04:21 AM

Good point, I didn't put much thought into game structure. It is tough to find a book if your playing 1/2 on party.

Personally I went straight to 7csfap after ToP, not all of the concepts apply to low limit but it is a great book and you can figure out what needs to be changed in your game to adapt to the structure.

Thanks Mason
Old 12-11-2005, 04:29 AM

Here's the path I took FWIW:
-Read West's book, learned the game at lower limits.
-Read 7CSFAP several times (its either on my nightstand or in the bathroom), but I only have the roll to play up to 6/12, so I'm guessing some of the concepts in the book don't quite fit the level I am at.

I have taken quite the liking for stud. It's much more stimulating than hold'em for me. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:54 PM

If you're really an advanced hold'em player, or even if you're half-decent for that matter, then 7CS4AP should be well within your grasp. I don't think any of the so-called beginners' books are worth a crap.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:07 PM

thanks for your opions, I guess i'll just pick up both west's book and 7card stud for advanced players and read em both.

any other suggestions?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 PM

I hate reading poker books, but just finished a quick read of Roy West’s book.

It was very readable and I enjoyed his folksy or what ever, writing style. At least he put some personality into his book.

Some of his advice might be a little suspect though. He has some advice about folding fourth that doesn’t seem quite right to me.

I’m going to read it again more thoroughly, probably over Christmas break, and may post some questions about his advice.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any other suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you already own the original Super System, check out Chip Reese’s chapter on 7 Card Stud.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM

I would suggest West's book, followed by posting hands on here. Although some of the advice is possibly on the weak-tight side, the big advantage that it has over 7CSFAP is that it goes into playing 4th-7th streets in quite a lot more detail. Maybe if you are a genuine all-round poker player you won't need this, but I think its certainly useful while you're learning.

Also, I hesitate to disagree with Mason, but I think that the low limit games with a reasonably high ante, such as the 3/6 on Party ($0.50 ante, $1 bring-in) can be beaten for a reasonable rate just by playing tight, due to the number of bad players you'll find there.