Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Weak top pair vs possible bluff.

This table has been in total flux since I sat down. Four handed when I sat, then filled up, now down to six after the three aggros left after the same hand. Don't have a lot of hands on this guy but his AF is sky high, and he seems to like being the table bully. Hard to tell if he's actually LAG or TAG yet since the table size has been so dynamic.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero...

The guy paused a good ten seconds before hitting the raise button, and I strongly suspect a bluff. He's aggro enough that I can't pin him on a slowplay. My plan here is to call and checkraise him on the river. Anyone have an alternative?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Weak top pair vs possible bluff.

call and check/call the river
Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 PM

Why C/R the river? It traps him for another bet, but he's not going to call with a hand that you beat.
Could he bluff 3-bet your river C/R?

I think your hand has showdown value, but not sure it's good enough against a perceived bluff to C/R.

Its quite conceivable that he's "slowplaying" his KJ.

I'd be more inclined to take your line if the flop was 852, and you had J8.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why C/R the river? It traps him for another bet, but he's not going to call with a hand that you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are completely right, and now I feel silly for posting this thread [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are completely right, and now I feel silly for posting this thread [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's the point in posting right?

I for one feel I've been playing too straight forward lately, and observant opponents are taking advantage of that. So I've been seriously looking at new places to try some check-raises.

I just dont think this is one of them.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:48 PM

3.5:1 on a call down he pretty much has to be on complete air in order for you to be ahead. If you fold he may read you as weak and you can punish when the time comes. I see nothing wrong with folding but at the same time you will be folding the best hand some % of the time here so calling down is probably close.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you fold he may read you as weak and you can punish when the time comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't villian keep trying to push hero around? I'd rather keep him passive. I think there's enough showdown value to this hand that I'd want to call down.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 PM

it is a small pot. you could give it up. the big pause could be weak=strong and he has a monster. if you c/r the river and get 3-bet, you could probably fold. I am 30/70 on calling down because I suck.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3.5:1 on a call down he pretty much has to be on complete air in order for you to be ahead. If you fold he may read you as weak and you can punish when the time comes. I see nothing wrong with folding but at the same time you will be folding the best hand some % of the time here so calling down is probably close.

[/ QUOTE ]

sean c you rock. when I run into these situations (usually with a more marginal hand), I say, "you can have the small pots, [villain]"
Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call and check/call the river

[/ QUOTE ]