Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-07-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: rush/anti rush

I play my local 4-8 LHE 1/2 kill and do very well. However, I rarely get to initiate a 1/2 kill game because I rarely win two hands in a row. Does that mean you can still win and not go on a rush? There are players there who will call with any two after a winning hand just so they can try and get a kill pot next hand.

I dont know if Ive added anything to this conversation.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 AM

To the OP,
Yes it feels like this. Also "Varience" (the downswing side of it that we all love dearly) almost feels like someone put us on a new server and coded it with "You will lose every hand for the next 12 hours of play, No matter if you take a week off or not!!! HA!!!!".

However, I think i trust that the sites arn't rigged, and therefore trust hands are random.

Of course if you are a LAGGY guy your "streaks" of hot and cold will probably be more varied. If your a tag the varience will most likly be lower and streaks wont seem as crazy.

I once remember calling 3 gutshots without odds as i was running hot, i hit all 3... That was kinda cool.

Anyhow, these posts only get sarcastic answers(Funny though) as we're all so bored of "Poker is rigged" "i've found patterns but i have no proof" posts.

POKhER.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM

The only credible quality I can assign to rushes is that some people believe in them. Personally I don't. The secret is recognizing the people who do believe in them and adapting your play accordingly. If someone believes they are going to lose and are on a downstreak, then it is going to be much easier to make them lose i.e. run them off a hand. If someone believes they are hot, and is raising every hand, you can use them as a tool to manipulate table betting easier.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM

anti rush. he's a bigot and a creep.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 PM

"Rush" is a bad word to use. But streaks certainly do exist, and it's well within the limits of probability.

Just for fun, flip a quarter a few hundred times, and assume I pay you $1 for every heads and you pay me $.95 every time it lands tails (of course you like this proposition because it pays you an expected two-and-a-half cents per flip).

But occassionally that damn coin is going to land tails ten times in a row. Am I "rushing" during this multi-win $0.95 extravaganza? No, it's just raw statistics. And damn it, you won the next five, lost one, and won five more!

This is a stupid example, but I think it illustrates the point that what you perceive as good and bad runs, is just probability playing out its course. And in poker (as with all games of high variance), 2 sigma is pretty far from your expected value.

Oh, and try flipping that same quarter twenty times and getting the result H-T-H-T...H-T. I'm not going to calculate, but the probability is close to zero.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:00 PM

mega-dittos creep maybe; bigot - never
Old 12-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the recognition that you can run hot and cold and YES I do believe that the cards are random and that each hand is independent of all the others and that 3 gut shots in a row is a random result but I'll wager that you won more than your 1/10th share of the hands or 1/8th if you are really good during this "streak" and that you have lost more than your fair share during other periods.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:09 PM

Who is teaching the dark arts this year?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM

I would like to recommend Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney to you.

PEace
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is teaching the dark arts this year?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool, you at least have a sense of humor. Glad you took my flame good naturedly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

By now I'm sure you realize that it's impossible to predict what are essentially random events. If you flip a coin and it comes up heads 4 times in a row, yr chances of it coming up heads (assuming a fair coin) is still 50-50.