Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Live JJ hand

Ok, I see that there are good arguments for slow playing. It's live, which changes things a lot.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can slowplay here.

[/ QUOTE ]
With deeper stacks I would definitely be inclined to slowplay this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's already been hammered out it looks like, but let me add my 2 cents. This is perfect for slowplaying. Your stacks going in the middle and you want everyone elses stacks in there with you as well, so just call. You got an opportunity to win a monster pot. The only downside to slowplaying is with more players in the hand, you will get sucked out on a higher percentage of the time. But, that's a tradeoff I'll take.

With deeper stacks, I'd raise probably. Better to get one guys deep stack, than to take portions of multiple players stacks.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With deeper stacks, I'd raise probably. Better to get one guys deep stack, than to take portions of multiple players stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with deep stacks you can build a nice pot and get a couple of villains committed to the hand, so you won't just be HU (which is still fine) most of the time. In this hand, the side has the potential to be just as large as the main pot.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:40 PM

Default General question

How much would your analysis change if the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] were the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], putting a two-flush on board?
Old 12-03-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: General question

[ QUOTE ]
How much would your analysis change if the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] were the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], putting a two-flush on board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Multi-way and a two-flush, slowplaying is more problematic. You have raise here. The good news is that many times flush draws will overpay.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have about $215 in front of me ... CO raises to $20 ... I call ... SB bets $50, and I raise to $125.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question about a raise here. With this raise, you've only got $70 left, so that's going in on the turn no matter what.

I've got to wonder what the CO will do. If he's got TPTK and gets raised, I think he'd throw it away. UTG also has to be worried about two other people showing strength, so I figure he'd fold on the flop, too.

If you call and then UTG calls, then CO is gonna fret what you guys have that you'd call his bet -- "are they slowplaying?" he'll wonder. But I think you extract more money from them by calling (at the risk of a suckout). If you call, then you've got $145 left to a $160-210 pot.

uh, so my question is: if you raise, and you take the pot then and there, is that the goal? Or is it better to try to double/triple up?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:57 PM

Thanks for replying:

My goal was definitely to get my whole stack in against at least one opponent. I figured that my opponents would have a hard time getting away from an A with a decent kicker.

My sense at the time that my opponents might very well call $125 with the same hands they would call $50 with, and that a call would look suspiciously stronger than a moderately sized raise. I now think that I might well have been wrong on both counts.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Results

UTG, CO and the SB all folded to my raise. From post-hand commentary, CO suggested he had a pair of queens and SB had an ace with a weak kicker.

Given my short stack and the drawless board, smooth calling may well have been a much superior option.

I did manage to use the information later in the session to take a few pots with bluffs and semi-bluffs. This was the first time in my limited experience (about five sessions) where there were a large number of players who weren't willing to pay off any size bets with a pair. Man these games are getting real tough. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]