Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Why aren\'t you better?

I understand the concepts, have little to no idea how to apply them.

Also, hands seem clearer in hand histories than when played out.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:47 PM

I play a lot and lose focus on the point of the game. After a break I find myself realizing that the only point of the game is to win the chips in the middle and subsequently money. This can be accomplished by having the best hand or making others think you have the best hand.

Too often after playing for extended periods of time (either hours or days/weeks) I forget that the game is this simple and start getting into the mindset that I am better than my opponent and deserve to win because I started the hand with AK and he started it with 10J and I call him down just to prove that I was unlucky or something.

I play best when I think about the fact that I want my opponent's money not his respect.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
balls. the bigger yer balls, the better u do in poker. ok the diff between a great 109er that struggles in the 215s and a great 215er that pwns everything is pretty simple. PERFECT bubble play. and i mean perfect. no mistakes. not occasionally making a -ev shove, occasionally letting someone keep their bb when u dont wanna shove 23o, etc. perfect. perfect early game. this means not folding AQ from the bb on lvl 2 to a SINGLE raise to 90. this means being able to play a flop, turn, and river well. this means implementing cash game strategies to gain chips in the early stages of the stt. thats really all there is to it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so true. and this is one of the reasons i get frustrated. most poker up to the 109s lvl is pretty straight forward. these close bubble decisions and post flop situations where you arent sure if your hand is good or not dont come up very often.
yet the fact that a great player can have double my ROI at the same level because of these rare situations (obviously this isnt true, but i feel im playing perfect besides these close situations - the fact that i cant even fathom what else i could be doing wrong also pisses me off) boggles my mind.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a 2nd question mostly for lower limit players, if you're beating the 22s, why aren't you playing the 33s? Assume that bankroll considerations aren't a factor, unless it's too psychologically stressful to lose at the higher limit. Why do you play at the level you're at?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play STT to moderate the variance from MTTs. The last five months my income has been split almost 50/50 between the two. I've spent 10K and have about a 10K BR between Party and Stars. I 4-table the 55s when I feel like I am playing my A-game and 8-table the 22s when I feel that I need to "work", but don't feel up to my best game. Right now I play part-time, but I am taking steps to give fulltime a go.

The biggest thing that keeps me at this level is the steady money. I know there are things I need to work on, but right now I have limited time and increasing my bankroll is the key to freeing up the time I need to improve. I plan to take a hiatus from my job around the first of the year to see what I can do fulltime.

One thing I lack is a network of other players to bounce ideas off, discuss strategies, etc..I have had to plod through the SNG learning curve solo (except for this blessed forum). Hopefully, when I have the time to play more live and get out from in front of my damned computer I can correct this.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 PM

I'm doing my best to get better, I'm currently grinding out the $5s on Stars, single-tabling and posting any questionable hands on here and trying to improve my SNG play, as I'm still playing like a cash game player. Once I'm happy with the decisions I'm making, I'll start to learn to multi-table, starting from 2, moving probably upto 4, maybe 6. Then I'll start playing sets of 3 $5s and 1 $10, gradually increasing the $10s till I'm 4/6 tabling them and so forth, dropping back down if I have to. I want to give this a good shot and see what my $hourly rate can be, and how it compares to my current [censored] day job!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this means not folding AQ from the bb on lvl 2 to a SINGLE raise to 90.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't curtains do this?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM

The general theme of this post reminds me of a poster that a teacher of mine in high school had:

Many have the will to succeed, but far fewer have the willingness to do what it takes to succeed.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this means not folding AQ from the bb on lvl 2 to a SINGLE raise to 90.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't curtains do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your point?!

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 11-28-2005, 07:11 PM

First of all I want to note that Im using qucik reply mode to see what happens.
Im not better because:..
1) I lack self- determination.
2) I lack material to help me learn.( books, tutors, programs, etc
)
Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your point?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's merely pointing out that curtains is weak-tight.