Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Another hand from the Orleans

I love the line; but I would prefer to be against a player that I knew could make a "big" laydown. Since the field was weak (and presumably Hero would find a number of other spots where he has an edge), I think i fold the flop.

If I inherit the hand at the turn; I like hero's line.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Another hand from the Orleans

[ QUOTE ]
I put him squarely on a weak King.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm having a hard time trying to figure out why any top pair hand, even a weak one (and Irieguy put him on no worse than K9 as a top pair only hand), wouldn't shut Irieguy out on the turn given the possible flush draw unless, of course, we're simply assuming that the villain is a really, really bad player.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Results

Well, this hand ended up being my virtual demise in the tourney.

After my push, my opponent stood up and started cursing about how lucky I was to make my flush. He then said "well, I have to call." He had K-7, making 2 pair on the river.

I'm not sure if he would have folded his TP-7 kicker if a different flush card, or an ace had come on the river. I'd like to think that the chances were good enough to justify my play of the hand, but I just don't know.

I'm pretty sure that everybody is right and that I should have just folded the flop. What's funny is that there was very little chance that I would have folded there as the hand was happening. That's the challenge for me when analyzing this hand: I need to figure out what's wrong with my poker mind such that the best/correct play hardly occured to me in real time. That could be hard to fix.

I busted out the very next hand by open-pushing with JJ and getting called by the same guy holding a weak ace.

Meh.

Irieguy
Old 11-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]

After my push, my opponent stood up and started cursing about how lucky I was to make my flush. He then said "well, I have to call." He had K-7, making 2 pair on the river.

I'm not sure if he would have folded his TP-7 kicker if a different flush card, or an ace had come on the river. I'd like to think that the chances were good enough to justify my play of the hand, but I just don't know.

I'm pretty sure that everybody is right and that I should have just folded the flop. What's funny is that there was very little chance that I would have folded there as the hand was happening. That's the challenge for me when analyzing this hand: I need to figure out what's wrong with my poker mind such that the best/correct play hardly occured to me in real time. That could be hard to fix.

I busted out the very next hand by open-pushing with JJ and getting called by the same guy holding a weak ace.

Meh.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, wtf? K7? maybe I gotta go play some daytime tourneys now...
Old 11-28-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Meh.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I think others might not have been quick to fold the flop in real-time either. Opinions tend differ once the rest of the hand is known. But unfortunately, we can't know how the hand is going to play out until it does.

I think that, in the long-run, being able to play hands like this is good.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:55 PM

YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP

I would have gone broke on this hand too, but I would have "donked" it off by moving allin pre-flop and having him spite call me because he was late for dinner; at that point I would be in a 53/47 "coinrace" position and could curse the Gods for my badluck....I wouldn't have to think about having had 4 separate opportunities to not go broke [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It doesn't do anygood to be the best player at the table if you don't play better than the others [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 01:27 AM

in a 50+5, if i'm the preflop raiser and the caller bets out weakly into me on a 2 tone flop, it tells me that he has a piece of the flop, but not tp.

he's betting for information. if i go over the top, i'm representing top pair/overpair. he usually folds unless he was slowplaying a monster and trying to induce a raise, in which case i get crippled. (that's poker)

for this hand, i would fold w/3 overcards on the table. sure, he might have been on a flush draw. but since i'm not short on chips, why risk it?

anyway, you called. your call tells him that you also have a piece of the flop but nothing powerful since you're not raising to protect your hand. he will usually check the turn.

but since he didn't, i read his weak bet on the turn as a blocking bet for a cheap flush draw.

i read his min bet on the river as a value bet for his made flush. he figures that since you were playing so weakly that anything bigger might scare you off.

like i said, this is what i would have thought if it was a 50+5 sng w/no reads on the opponent. obviously, this doesnt apply to a tourny at the Orleans. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

btw- irie, you said his weak turn bet convinced you that he DIDN'T have a flush draw? Can you elaborate on how you came to this conclusion?