Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Flop Play

personally in this spot, the board is incredibly non-dangerous looking, and i think i'm still ahead of his range. being ahead of his range likely means a max of 6 outs for villain. calling here lets him draw for free to his 6 outs, and possibly bet the turn with air as well, and me to get all in. raising now gives him the opportunity to fold a worse hand cheaply, and only continue with a winner if he wants. i think this is as close to a non A or K flop as I can get with this hand, and i'm quite willing to go to the felt here. in order to get to the felt with what i think is likely the best hand, i think the best way to do it AND GET MORE CHIPS IN is to call the flop bet. just like i thought that the best way to get more chips in was to call preflop...

c
Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Flop Play

[ QUOTE ]
personally in this spot, the board is incredibly non-dangerous looking, and i think i'm still ahead of his range. being ahead of his range likely means a max of 6 outs for villain. calling here lets him draw for free to his 6 outs, and possibly bet the turn with air as well, and me to get all in. raising now gives him the opportunity to fold a worse hand cheaply, and only continue with a winner if he wants. i think this is as close to a non A or K flop as I can get with this hand, and i'm quite willing to go to the felt here. in order to get to the felt with what i think is likely the best hand, i think the best way to do it AND GET MORE CHIPS IN is to call the flop bet. just like i thought that the best way to get more chips in was to call preflop...

c

[/ QUOTE ]

The one thing that sucks about this flop, and his bet is that you've gained no info. If we put this flop into our little calculator dealie, our pot equity is now only at precisely 50%. What's really difficult at this stage, is that our villain knows we don't have AA/KK/QQ. Yet, we don't know how to narrow his hand range down. This is precisely the type of flop you are concerned with most. So, now it's tourney decision time. To go to the end with this hand or not.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: final table spot

Push. If you can't find the slider bar, e-mail support.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:43 PM

limit holdem.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limit holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, thought it was funny. Guess not.

I think I 3-bet preflop. Having the lead here is very helpful postflop.

Given that you called preflop, I call the flop bet and bet the turn if checked to, raise if bet to, but I barely play any limit and play it very poorly.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:04 PM

If you're playing to win, I think you have to raise the flop, bet the turn (I would have 3-bet pre-flop to isolate). You're committed to this hand.

Another option is to raise the flop to get a free turn and then see the river. It gives you two chances to hit one of your outs. But I wouldn't do this with these stack sizes.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing to win

[/ QUOTE ]

Can people stop saying that we're playing to win? We're playing to maximize our EV. The reason people talk about how you want to win so badly is because these tournies are top-heavy. However, the fact that the payout doesn't all go to first place means that you should play slightly tighter than you would in a cash game (assuming all other variables the same).
Old 11-28-2005, 06:22 PM

Calling PF in limit is bad here, I think, mostly because it opens the way up for a hand like 88 in MP that you do not want in and makes you face a lot of trapped in between people decisions on the flop (ie, you fold lots of best hands). I haven't played limit in forever, though, so I could be wrong.

On this flop, I'm calling and betting/pushing any turn. I think that gets him to fold more than a raise here (which he's probably autocalling anyway getting something like 6:1, and then a bad player will think 'pot odds' and call the turn anyway) and possibly gets more chips in the pot if he second barrels AQ.

BTW, if you are ahead he's only got 3 outs because he's gotta be more of a LAG than 'aware of the table' to be doing this with QJs.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:39 PM

havn't looked at the other replies yet, but i'm pretty sure i'm betting at every opportunity i can. so i'm 3betting and if he caps, i call, and if i miss i can't imagine folding at that point, even w/ just ace high. So yea. I just read adanthar say to call the flop and raise/push the turn, that might be better, but i doubt it'll make a difference.