Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 12:44 AM

Default check/fold unimproved AK on turn?

I don't play many MTTs (play plenty of STTs), and I have trouble with how aggressive to be early on.

There were a few times I ended up check/folding the flop or turn after raising preflop when I thought there was a reasonable chance my opponents were bluffing but I didn't want to play for a big pot out of position early in the tournament without much of a hand.

Not sure if I'm thinking about this the wrong way or not. Here is one of the hands I wasn't sure about. Any comments would be appreciated.

This is fairly early in a $33 UB MTT (1500 chip stacks to start). Blinds are 15/30. MP1 and MP2 seem loose aggressive but there haven't been that many hands to judge them by.

Hero is UTG+1 (1535)
MP1 (1830)
MP2 (1890)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pre-flop: UTG folds, Hero raises to 105, 1 fold, MP1 and MP2 call, everyone else folds.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot = 360)

Hereo bets 250, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot = 860)

Hero checks, MP2 bets 500, Hero folds.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: check/fold unimproved AK on turn?

Looks fine to me. An argument could be made for not betting the flop with 2 players behind and a flop that could well have hit them in some way, but I think with no flush draw and no paint, you have to fire out at it. Once you're called, shut it down and move on without picking up an ace or king.