Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: 80/160 hand against J.A. Sucker

[ QUOTE ]
3 bet preflop and c/r the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2005, 05:44 PM

If you felt you were ahead on the flop... did you consider a 4 bet?

It seems to me that JA is very capable of going 3 bets on the flop with nothing, as well as with something. However, he is definitely less likely to go 5 bets with nothing.

If you put 4 bets in and lead the turn then you have the abiltiy to make JA define his hand properly. Especially, if you felt you had the best hand.

As the play turned out, I think I would let JA bluffvalue bet at the pot and c/r.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you felt you were ahead on the flop... did you consider a 4 bet?

It seems to me that JA is very capable of going 3 bets on the flop with nothing, as well as with something. However, he is definitely less likely to go 5 bets with nothing.

If you put 4 bets in and lead the turn then you have the abiltiy to make JA define his hand properly. Especially, if you felt you had the best hand.

As the play turned out, I think I would let JA bluffvalue bet at the pot and c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not obvious we are ahead of JA until the turn. That said, I just want to echo the sentiments of the other posters that a 3 bet pf here is obvious as a standard play, but calling and cr-ing any flop from time to time is good too.
-James
Old 11-23-2005, 06:18 PM

"I just want to echo the sentiments of the other posters that a 3 bet pf here is obvious as a standard play,"

no. i think in theory it is standard because if one really thinks about it, it's the best way to start getting value out of the hand (there are several other good reasons too), but my experience is most players good or not will just flat call this preflop with deception and "let's see a flop first" being the main reasons.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Well, good point barron. Our nothing is probably better than JA's nothing.

That being said, I'd re-raise PF and try to CR the river.

Tex
Old 11-23-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River c/r time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so too.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I just want to echo the sentiments of the other posters that a 3 bet pf here is obvious as a standard play,"

no. i think in theory it is standard because if one really thinks about it, it's the best way to start getting value out of the hand (there are several other good reasons too), but my experience is most players good or not will just flat call this preflop with deception and "let's see a flop first" being the main reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "standard" I mean the play that makes the most money in a vacuum and the play that I do the vast majority of the time. I'd venture that most live players call here but most online players 3 bet at comparable stakes. I know when I play live I always get mindfucked because everyone seems to be calling big aces in the blinds.
-James
Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 PM

In general, I like the smoothcall preflop in this spot with a view to checkraising any flop other than those that you hit.

But I would change my flop plans here when it comes down 522.

When you checkraise that flop, Sucker should know you are prolly full of it. If you had a pp, you would 3 bet preflop. You prolly don't have a 5 or 2 particularly since you are stepping up to the 80 game from your usual 40 game. Your checkraise on the flop should look like Ax or a flush draw to sucker and he will play it accordingly.

Besides, when the flop comes JT3 and you checkraise, Sucker might fold a hand like 88 either then or on the turn. He ain't folding 88 (and probably not folding any two cards) when the flop is 522.

So, I would just call preflop and just checkcall the flop.

BTW, my new book "Checkcall your way to Millions" is just about ready for the printers. Pre-orders accepted...heh

Having played it the way you did, the river checkraise is the much better play for resaons given by Jmaes, Mike l, Barron et al. But for PR reasons, I never made that play when playing live (keep in mind that I used to play in a realtively small cardroom where everyone knows everyone). Online, I would have no qualms with pulling the river checkraise trigger.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But for PR reasons, I never made that play when playing live (keep in mind that I used to play in a realtively small cardroom where everyone knows everyone).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have qualms about checkraising, not only should you quit poker permanently, but you should seriously consider killing yourself.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:53 PM

I feel it's clear he has a naked Ace on the turn when he checks and if he doesn't he'll bluff bet often enough at the Ace on the river to warrant a river check-raise.