Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 PM

Default 33 party - oesd on flop

How did I play this? I thought about checkraising allin on the turn, but since the villain's bet was so small, I decided to just calling was the better play. The villain is pretty fishy - plays too many hands and routinely underbets the pot.

Table Table 68932 (Real Money) -- Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: HERO (745)
Seat 2: BOBBYphx (680)
Seat 3: kcroyals (665)
Seat 4: abergator (1420)
Seat 5: ljBeill (935)
Seat 7: calvinson (1270)
Seat 9: wildZer0 (755)
Seat 10: TennesseJed3 (1530)
HERO posts small blind (15)
BOBBYphx posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
kcroyals folds.
abergator folds.
ljBeill folds.
calvinson calls (30)
wildZer0 folds.
TennesseJed3 folds.
HERO calls (15)
BOBBYphx checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
HERO bets (60)
BOBBYphx folds.
calvinson raises (120) to 120
HERO calls (60)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
HERO checks.
calvinson bets (55)
HERO calls (55)
** Dealing River ** : [ 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
HERO checks.
calvinson bets (50)
HERO folds.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: 33 party - oesd on flop

Pretty easy fold preflop. I normally just check-call small bets on these flops otherwise I give it up.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty easy fold preflop. I normally just check-call small bets on these flops otherwise I give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dam, forum is stingy tonight..

I also complete preflop. If I'm feeling unlucky I'll play the rest of the hand like you. However, with your read, a 3-bet on the flop is probably the best move.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:09 PM

i'm not a fan of betting oop with just a gutshot.
calling a minraise and then checking the turn looks incredibly fishy.
i'd be putting you all-in on any blank on the river.

you also have to think about pot control. i assume this is an attempt to steal a small pot, but hands like this often spiral out of control. check/call flop allows you to see your draw alot cheaper, and if you miss, you have an easy fold
Old 11-17-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not a fan of betting oop with just a gutshot.
calling a minraise and then checking the turn looks incredibly fishy.
i'd be putting you all-in on any blank on the river.

you also have to think about pot control. i assume this is an attempt to steal a small pot, but hands like this often spiral out of control. check/call flop allows you to see your draw alot cheaper, and if you miss, you have an easy fold

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this a gut shot?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:42 PM

I would usually check the flop too, but I think everything you did was fine. I would also complete preflop.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:47 PM

I think that this call preflop is way too loose. T9o is a terrible hand.

Anyway, having gotten into the siutation you're in, leading seems like a bad idea to me too. I guess that you're trying to pick up the pot, but with the hope of catching outs if you're called? That's all well and good, but the flop is not that scary to your opponents so I think this is too risky. Assuming I misclick called preflop, I would check-fold or check-call small bets.

Again, that's too loose preflop IMO. You got basically the best possible flop you could hope for and it's STILL hard to play profitably, as you've seen.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:48 PM

I don't mind the completion preflop. If the Villain has been underbetting the pot, check-calling (if he gives you odds to) is probably a better flop line than betting. Those kind of fishy players often like to slowplay a set or two pair just like the pros on TV, and since your draw beats whatever he's got if you hit it, let him slowplay into the ground, then overbet if you hit.

As for the turn and river. I think you made the correct play, but it sucks to create your own pot odds to pay off 1/4 of your chips on a draw.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would usually check the flop too, but I think everything you did was fine. I would also complete preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow this at all. It seems like a waste of 15 chips. Why are we so keen on playing T9o out of position against 2 opponents, with the further posibility of having to fold without seeing a flop if BB raises. I am just not interested in this situation. Are you saying that you think the implied odds when you flop a monster are so huge relative the 15 chips that you call?

This just seems to go against my personal (possibly suboptimal, I admit) early stage mindset. I want to play ONLY hands where I have a good chance of getting paid off big. I don't see you getting enough flops here that put you in a position to extract lots of value from other hands. Most flops will not help you at all, and many that do help will leave you fighting tooth and nail and taking on risk just to pick up the pot. I want a good chance at getting the other guys' stacks in exchange for early tournament risk.