Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 12:41 AM

Default QQ FT Love Fest 2006

Villain in this hand is one of Full Tilt's newest superstars, the guys who deposit $500 and run it up to 10k in a week and think theyre the best players ever, who knows maybe they are, anyway he seems like he overvalues hands in marginal situations which is typical of these guys as they never run into anything that beats them, but hes not by any means terrible or a LAG.

I make a standard raise from early middle with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], button calls, flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet the pot and button min raises me.

I question what this means aside from the flopped nut flush or a set. Is this the lone Ace enough of the time [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to vindicate a push that the villain will likely call? Best line to call and wait until the turn? However, I dont know what turns I like, a set is also a possibility.

As the hand played out I just called, which isnt what I would prefer to do. I then called a 2/3 pot sized bet on the turn when the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fell, making me the one card second nut flush. I had no idea if I had the best hand or was picking off a bluff or a set trying to win the hand. The river paired the board and I checked preparing to check fold to a substantial bet.

I feel like there is a much better way to handle this sort of situation, thanks for anyone that wants to input. Im going to email this to ciaffone and then maybe post his reply if he doesnt mind :-).
Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: QQ FT Love Fest 2006

stakes?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:58 AM

stakes
stack sizes
game conditions
recent history
# of players
come on kagame
this post
sucks
Old 11-14-2005, 01:28 AM

If the game is full, with 100bb stacks and villian is newbie catching cards, i fold to flop mini raise.

It seems weak, but this type of player is not mini raising into strength you've shown with hand you beat often. He's caught a set, goofy flush or something most of the time.

These type of players you're describing arent good, they're just on huge rush and you've caught him in the middle of it.
That sounded a bit superstitious and weak/tight, but oh well. Basically, he sounds like a tight 1/2 grinder, not a move maker.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:33 AM

ummmmm, not too much to work with here in regards to the post... I'll give it a shot. I like the call on the flop. The turn is where it gets tricky. On the flop, minraising with a small flush is just begging to get sucked out on turn. Minraising with the nut flush just wouldn't make sense unless he knew your play, and that you probably had a big pair. I'd either put him on a set, or a desperate attempt to buy a free river with the ace or maybe Jack. Although, with a set, I'd personally raise more than the min on the flop. I'd lean towards the A or small flush. More combos with the Ah, than the sets. That's a tough decision. Damn. I'd probably check call the turn, and if the board didn't pair on river, I'd put the same bet down that you called on the turn. It would be hard for anyone to put you all-in unless they had the ace. I'd check fold the riv if the board paired for sure. Damn, that's a tough hand. Give us more info so more people respond!!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:04 AM

read this thread and respond. I want to hear peoples ideas on how to play this hand
Old 11-14-2005, 07:12 AM

its 5/10 and we have full 100bb stacks

im more concerned with the scenario in general

i dont like check calling but am unsure as how else to go about playing the hand since the opponents hand range is so bizarre i dont know what cards i like to see and the pots already quite large ($85 preflop, $200 each on flop, so $500 pot and I have a strong hand but am either way behind, moderately behind, or a negligible amount ahead)
Old 11-14-2005, 07:14 AM

stakes - why does this matter
stack sizes- standard
game conditions- i give more detail than most
recent history- same thing
# of players- i said the pot is HU, its 6max like all the cool kids play
come on kagame- where are we going?
this post- yours or mine?
sucks- no, blow me please
Old 11-14-2005, 07:20 AM

Like you said yourself, one of those extremely marginal situations where there's no single optimal course of action. Comes down to reads and playing your opponents.

Kirk
Old 11-14-2005, 10:33 AM

I think the easiest way to play this hand is to jam the flop.
The only hand you're dead to is the NF.
Other than that you are either ahead or have enough outs.

Maybe this isnt the most optimal way to play this hand, but when I am in doubt i take the path of least caution.
P.S. If you've ever seen him minraise before, it would make the hand a lot easier.