Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Deep stack KK How\'d I do?

SB ($2830)
me (more $)

6 handed, I open (K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) for $35 on button, SB reraises to $135, BB folds, I call

8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot $280)
SB bets $200, I call

8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](pot $680)
chk chk

8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](pot $680)
SB bets $400, I call

basically I need a good line when deep stacked. Seems like when I play deep I'm always worried about pot control and very fearful of getting stacked or getting check-raise bluffed off the best hand. How do people play deepstack poker? I need some general tips. Links to other posts would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Deep stack KK How\'d I do?

Bet the turn. Pot control is key in deep stack situations, but the pot is only $600-hardly threatening your stack if you get put to a test. You still have enough room to maneuver that you won't get stuck with any bet.
Still, the check behind isn't terrible and probably isn't giving up too much value.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 PM

Bet the turn for $425 and end your guessing.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB ($2830)
me (more $)

6 handed, I open (K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) for $35 on button, SB reraises to $135, BB folds, I call

8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot $280)
SB bets $200, I call

8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](pot $680)
chk chk

8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](pot $680)
SB bets $400, I call

basically I need a good line when deep stacked. Seems like when I play deep I'm always worried about pot control and very fearful of getting stacked or getting check-raise bluffed off the best hand. How do people play deepstack poker? I need some general tips. Links to other posts would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think there was some comment from doyle saying, bet when you think it's the best option available and deal with check raises after they happen instead of worrying about them before firing. otherwise, i think opponents will partially have crippled you and you'll lose a lot of value.

in this situation, stacks are deep enough that he doesn't have to suspect you have KK or a premium holding in this spot. once he checks that turn, i think you're good to go to fire, charge a backdoor or a gutshot from getting there, and taking control of the aggression in the hand. if he check raises, so be it, play poker.

main idea i think, is to bet, and then play poker when the situation arises.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think there was some comment from doyle saying, bet when you think it's the best option available and deal with check raises after they happen instead of worrying about them before firing.

[/ QUOTE ]Not to belittle Doyle, but I think this advice is way off. Isn't part of poker planning like your next step? Like you shouldn't do any action unless you have plans on how you will handle his possible responses?

If I check now, I can call a pot bet on river. If I bet now I have to fold to all checkraises, isn't that correct? I would hate to be bluffed out of this pot when it's so big and my hand is so good and AK is so likely to semibluff IMO. Isn't my hand good enough to showdown here?

[ QUOTE ]
hardly threatening your stack if you get put to a test. You still have enough room to maneuver that you won't get stuck with any bet.

[/ QUOTE ]-How is this not threating my stack? $680 seems like an enormous size pot and is very threatening to my stack. If I bet $450 and he checkraises me to $1100....let's say I call that raise, now the pot is 2.9k and he only had about $1500 left, that's roughly 1/2 pot bet before 300 bb's are gone. However if I check behind turn, biggest bet I can expect to see on river is $680 (without read I wouldn't expect to many people to move in on this river for a 2.5k bet into $680 pot). So then I couldn't really look him up on the turn to see what he does on river b/c there's so many scare cards that can hit (2 flush draws and a gutshot and ace to worry about), so I'd have to decide my hand is best and shove, or fold.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:04 PM

I think there's value there on a river raise. You're getting 3-bet bluffed almost never.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's value there on a river raise. the other guy prob has pocket aces and good chance he folds

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 PM

I play it the same way, except Id lead for 500 on the turn. After that, Id flat call the river if he leads, or bet around 2/3 the pot if he checks.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think there's value there on a river raise. the other guy prob has pocket aces and good chance he folds

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 PM

It's close between your line and Yeti's, I think the answer depends on how tight SB is.