Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-12-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Interesting hand from the WSOP Circuit Night Event

$330 buy-in NLHE. 200+ entrants. $1200 chips to start. WSOP blind structure, but limits go up every 30 minutes. Here are the pertinent stacks and player info:

Seat 1: Me: (1800)
Seat 2: SB: (275)
Seat 3: BB: (1200)
Seat 4: xx
Seat 5: xx
Seat 6: Tourist (1700)
Seat 7: Worse Tourist (1000)

Info: SB is a piece of work. Discman, SportsJersey, Dark Glasses, Gold chain, bracelet that at first glance looks like it may be a poker tournament bracelet, but in fact is just a cheap piece of faux jewelry. He's ready for TV, and is one of the worst players I've ever seen. He just got aces cracked the hand before and I am 100% sure he is going to put all of his chips in this hand.

BB is a tournament regular that I know well. He is not very good, but doesn't do anything stupid. He knows the tourists can't play and that SB is going in with any 2. I will be able to tell what cards he has when he acts.

Tourist and Worse Tourist are in town on vacation. They are VP$IP well over 75% of the time, and they hate it when people raise.

Blinds: 50/100:

Folded to Tourist who limps. Worse Tourist limps. Folded to me. I have 5-2 and limp.

SB goes all-in for 275 total.

Tourist acts out of turn and calls.

Worse Tourist also acts out of turn and calls.

BB watches this, and reluctantly calls.

I push.

The push is pretty clear, but obviously things went better than I could have hoped after the SB went all-in. Still, I think I had enough information to predict the oppotunity to get to race for 1100 chips while risking only 275.

Would you limp here with the intention of over-pushing when it comes back around?

Irieguy
Old 11-12-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand from the WSOP Circuit Night Event

I think counting on the tourists to fold is a stretch, and the obvious thing people are going to say here is 'fold preflop'.

Your actions in this hand are very read oriented so I'm really not sure what type of a response you are looking for. The push, however, is not clear if the tourists may look you up. If they wont, and this is your read, then I'm not sure why this has been posted except for the fun story and descriptions you have. Another thing to consider is that if your table as incredible as it looks, you can probably wait for a better spot to splash your chips around.

-Jason
Old 11-12-2005, 10:18 PM

yea, waht jason said. there are definitely better spots at this table.

And a 65/35 dog isn't really a race.

If you can guarantee being iso-ed vs the guy, it'd be profitable, but i dont see thta happening enough. Becuase clearly when you're called, this sucks.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:52 PM

so you're counting on worse tourist to call off 27.5% of his stack and then fold? ugh.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to me. I have 5-2 and limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-13-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think counting on the tourists to fold is a stretch, and the obvious thing people are going to say here is 'fold preflop'.

Your actions in this hand are very read oriented so I'm really not sure what type of a response you are looking for. The push, however, is not clear if the tourists may look you up. If they wont, and this is your read, then I'm not sure why this has been posted except for the fun story and descriptions you have. Another thing to consider is that if your table as incredible as it looks, you can probably wait for a better spot to splash your chips around.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Ir wasn't a stretch at all to know that the tourists would fold. I've been playing with them for an hour and a half.

I know that my actions are read oriented... that's why I described my reads.

I don't post here much, but based on the replies I've recieved from my last few posts on hands I've played in live events... it seems like this really isn't a live MTT forum.

I do find it strange that you would say this is either a horrible play... or (depending on reads) so clear that it becomes boring and not worth posting. I thought there was a chance it stood somewhere in between... since my line wasn't my first instinct. I put as much thought into this hand as you can in real time during a tournament.

Would you risk 275 of an 1800 chip stack to win 1100 chips with 5-2 against a random hand? Of course you would.

Would you limp with 5-2 for 100 chips and 1800 behind from late position with 2 limpers? Of course you wouldn't.

Seemed like an interesting contradiction at the time.

Irieguy
Old 11-13-2005, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I put as much thought into this hand as you can in real time during a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, are you saying that you took a lot of time while it was 'your turn' to fold or bet? Meaning, everyone paying attention would have known you took a little more time than usual to just limp?

By the way, great post & good read.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:25 AM

Irieguy,

I feel like I did a bad job communicating what I meant to say last post. I actually liked reading it and found the hand fun, I just think that you need to have a strong inclination the tourists will not get involved in this hand. If your read on them was that you were certain (enough) that they weren't getting involved, then I obviously like the play.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you risk 275 of an 1800 chip stack to win 1100 chips with 5-2 against a random hand? Of course you would.

Would you limp with 5-2 for 100 chips and 1800 behind from late position with 2 limpers? Of course you wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right. I respect this move here--its very elaborate and fun. However, I think the entire validity of it depends on how often you feel the tourists fold, and that is read based. Not only on your descriptions, but just your gut on how committed they were to the hand.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:29 AM

I agree that the push is obvious.

The limp is dependent on a lot of nth-level thinking things. For example, what do you think BB thinks of your limp? Is he capable of overpushing with any two after SB pushes? What do you think BB will think of your push? Is he capable of calling it loosely?

I assume that when you say tourists hate raises you mean they fold to them after limping very frequently. If that's the case, I guess they don't matter too much.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:36 AM

balls of steel.