Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 02:42 PM

Default $11 - Limping from the button w/13 BB

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t4450)
MP (t2225)
Hero (t1940)
SB (t1465)
BB (t3420)

Preflop: Hero is Button with ??.
UTG calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t150

I've been limping here with small pairs and hands like JTs. I then fold to a raise from the blinds or a bet on the flop unless I hit. My thought process has always been that I'm risking 1 BB, and hands like that could double me if I hit, and there's always a chance I could outplay them.

Lately it seems I'm just giving away a BB. What should I be limping with in this spot? What if it had been folded to me?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: $11 - Limping from the button w/13 BB

Good post kev, however I think I'd want more than one limper to put in about 8% of my stack with a negligible hand. Usually with the blinds so high you should raise with reasonable hands on the button, in my opinion. Certainly 77 I'd raise from there. JTs is a bit meh, but also not bad to.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post kev,

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
however I think I'd want more than one limper to put in about 8% of my stack with a negligible hand. Usually with the blinds so high you should raise with reasonable hands on the button, in my opinion. Certainly 77 I'd raise from there. JTs is a bit meh, but also not bad to.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you pretty much don't ever limp with 13 BB? Does anyone else agree?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:04 AM

Yes I do sometimes limp. But you have the button, and you should make use of it where possible.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:14 PM

No this is bad play unless maybe pocket pair or AK otherwise say g00tbye to chips. Also having button means not much in the $10 game becase people do noT play the position game.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Why would you limp here when you could try to steal UTG's money here and the blinds with a raise?

You don't really have the implied odds anymore to limp with hands like these because of the size of your stack. At 13BB you should be looking for a double-up on TP, getting all your money in before the flop with a strong hand, and blind stealing with marginal hands like the ones you're describing, not spiking 2-pair or a draw on the flop.

You simply don't have the wiggle-room at this point to "outplay" anyone postflop with these marginal hands.