Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: $11-No idea where I am postflop

After reading SonnyJay's and Microbet's posts, I'm guessing that I'm playing too conservatively and this might be why I end up on the bubble so often with a tiny stack. Guess I'll have to be more aggressive with overpairs.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:41 PM

You're playing against the small blind who might have anything here, including a 3, which means you are practically drawing dead.

The preflop raise is fine. 3-5 xBB raises are standard.

The flop bet is standard. You should see where you are at. You're called which means the SB has something. You're in a morton's fork situation. Either you're easily winning or you're behind.

I like the turn raise, as it can win the pot immediately and sets up a free showdown on the river. If you are re-raised on the turn, it starts to get nasty.

A pair is the 2nd lowest hand in Holdem.

I dont want to criticise your river bet--though in hindsight, yes a free showdown couldn't be bad when you've been called down all the way thru here. You've got a strong hand and now the SB is showing weakness by checking. If you did bet, I'd bet a bit smaller, say 300. This enables you to get paid off. If you do get re-raised, you probably should be throwing the hand away.

If he had a set or straight, I would have expected him to re-raise your turn bet and then lead out on the river. That way he's sure to get paid off. Whereas now with the river check, you can just showdown your Kings and see if they are good.

I suspect a pro would check it down on the river, but I'd be tempted to value bet on the river and get paid off more times than I'll be re-raised. If I am re-raised I probably should be throwing it away. It's either a ballsy bluff after you've shown strength all the way thru or he can surely beat one pair.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:09 PM

At the 11s, I'd say A5 and A3 are very possible holdings for the SB here, so I'd be inclined to check the river. If I did value bet, I'd make it a smaller amount. I doubt 88 or 99 is calling a 500 bet here, but maybe 250? JJ or QQ would call 500, but I figure JJ or QQ is raising your flop bet anyway. So I don't see too many hands you're ahead of calling that 500 river. I agree with Bazuul below that the turn raise should be higher, but I think your near 3/4 pot bet on the flop is fine - should price out the gut shot/overcard.