Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting a dog

"Go to the SPCA, those dogs are on death row. Find the one that's about a year old or so and isn't barking hysterically."

Right on, if you find a dog that doesn't bark much surrounded by tons of other yappers then you will have a quiet dog, which def rules aver a barker.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm only 21, single, no real permanent address. Should that be a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dogs take a lot of time and effort. A dog requires regular walking, feeding, etc. You have to be at home regularly, or make arrangements for someone else to take care of it. Training is relatively easy, but time intensive, especially until house-broken.

I would never have a dog unless I had a yard I could turn him loose in. Walking a dog a couple times a day (and carrying a little sack for poop) is a hassle, and I don't think it's fair to the dog. Dogs need to run around and chase birds and such. A leash sucks.

Based on my own memories of being 21, I would never have wanted to commit that kind of time and effort to owning a dog.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you live alone, or with roommates? Do you work fulltime away-from-home, or do you making a living playing The Game That Must Not Be Named?

I ask because it'd suck big-time for the dog to be locked up at home 8 hours a day, plus whatever time you spend away at night. And would probably lead to big-time behavioral problems. I love dogs (have one myself), but they aren't cats . . . they need attention, and aren't thrilled to be deserted for long, long periods of time on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]living with roomates...I play poker for a living and part-time go to school (5 credits) so I'd be around him a lot I think. Plus it'd be kinda fun because a lot of my friends love dogs too and there are no dogs to be found at college somehow.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:22 PM

I wouldn't get a purebreed, especially for a first dog. They may "look" better, but honestly they're alot of work, often have health problems and can really really cause you grief.

For example, I had a dalmation purebred that was given as a gift to me, that damn dog ended up going deaf, had bad hips,(basically about 10k in medical), and was the dumbest creature alive. Being raised on a farm I always thought I was of the mindset of shoot the dog when it's incapable of surviving, but you fall in love with these damn dogs and you're going to be with him to the end. So you kinda want something healthy and "easy" maintaince for lack of a better word.

So yea I reccomend a mutt.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:23 PM

As for getting a dog, there's a lot to think about.

First, what do you want - a purebred dog or a mutt? What breed(s)? From a breeder or the pound? NEVER from a pet store.

There are pros and cons to everything. Purebred dogs from a breeder and parents you choose give you a chance to pick out pretty much whatever you want in your dog and you'll know pretty well what he'll be like when he grows up. Cons are that this may lead to a higher chance of genetic problems and purebred dogs can be much more expensive up front.

Getting a mutt from a pound or a dog from a rescue can be a very rewarding endeavor. You're potentially saving this dog's life and they can be every bit the pet that a purebred dog will be. Cons include not knowing exactly what the dog will end up being like - temperament, size, fur, whatever. Another potential problem with a rescue is that you have no idea what this dog has been through up until this point. For all you know, the previous owners could have beat the crap out of it and it'll react violently over small irritants or it won't ever go near a full-grown man.

What breed do you want? Do you want a big dog? A small dog? One that'll climb up on your lap and sit there all day, or one that wants to run at top speed for 9 hours out of the day? Long hair or short hair? Everything is an option with varying degrees of consequences for each choice.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, what do you want - a purebred dog or a mutt? What breed(s)? From a breeder or the pound? NEVER from a pet store.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know if this are rhetorical but I think mutt seems best option based on other posters and your later comments. Why do you say never from a pet store?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 PM

do not get a dog at a pet store. it is hard to know where they came from. pet store dogs are frequently inbred. my folks gad an inbred eppileptic beagle. getting a dog from the pound is a noble option, kinda like adopting a kid from the third world. put alot of thought into this though, as it will be with you for years. i'd do some research as to what kind of dog you want. my parents recently got a hungarian visla. (i think i misspelled visla) check those out. they're like 50 or so lbs and really cool. don't get a golden, they're cute puppies, but stupid.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:29 PM

Also, if you do go with a purebred dog, you have to be sure to do your homework on finding a good breeder. My wife and I looked for about 6 months for a good breeder with dogs that we wanted our puppy to be like and then another several months before we could take our puppy home. It was well worth it, though, as we've found what I really think is the perfect dog for us.

You need to check that they screen for common health problems within the breed and are responsible about which dogs they breed.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Research the Breed!!

If you're not an active person - don't get an active dog. You and your dog will be miserable. Go to the library or bookstore and find a good book on dog breeds. Something like this will get you started on finding the right breed to match your personality. Then you can go to your local pound and see if they have one. Adopting a dog is GOOD! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Otherwise, if you're looking for a purebread dog, wwww.akc.com will have information on local breeders in your area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. First seriously consider how much time you have to be with the dog (home alot vs.away alot), will the dog be confined inside or have a yard, etc then consider the breed and their characteristics. Some dogs require tremendous amounts of attention, physical exercise, etc (Lab). See how these requirements fit into your lifestyle.

You could go the pound route or you can try some of the rescue organizations. Some are fanatical (i.e. will they will yell at you if you don't dedicate yourself to your dog 24/7.) However there are nice ones too which can help you find a dog that matches your lifestyle and wants (animalavengers.com), but they are highly selective about who they will let adopt because they look out for the dogs best interest, which could be good for both parties.

Good luck!

P.S. I think the middle puppy is cute!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know if this are rhetorical but I think mutt seems best option based on other posters and your later comments. Why do you say never from a pet store?

[/ QUOTE ]
It all really really depends on your situation and what you're looking for. My wife and I decided to get a purebred boxer because they really fit exactly what we wanted in a dog. We know pretty much exactly what he'll be like both in physical size/looks and temperament when he's full grown and we're confident in his health because we went to a good breeder who had health records for generations back.

This isn't to say that a mutt is the wrong way to go - it really is a personal choice.

NEVER EVER buy a dog or a cat from a pet store. I'd presume the same applies to birds and whatever else as well. These dogs come from "puppy mills" where the soul focus is on pumping out as many puppies as possible as quickly as possible with no regard to their health or emotional well-being. These animals are also very susceptible to disease and injury from being on top of so many other animals all the time in close confines. There are no health records and you have no idea how these animals have been treated (very poorly). You may save some cash over going to a breeder, but I'd wager you'll spend the difference on vet fees with a sick dog. It really is a crapshoot and you probably have a better chance of losing than winning in this situation. For the sake of protecting yourself as well as not rewarding these practices, you should stay away.

Remember - the bottom line is that this is an animal that you're going to welcome as a family member into your home for the next 10-20 years. It's well worth the time and effort to put a little research into exactly what you want and into picking out the right dog for you.