Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-05-2005, 06:57 AM

Default So I\'m pretty much finished with How good is your LHE.

I heard this book is really great for SH but there really weren't many SH hands and I only found one of them really informative.

I really liked this book, but I found that in general his game descriptions were always of pretty loose soft games. Not that many of the hands were in the so-so to somewhat bad game category which I was expecting more, and in my experience at the limits he was describing online the games were harder on average then the text indicated.

The only thing that really struck me as something I almost never do was 3bet semi bluffs he advised, at first I was like say what? But after reading his reasoning I had a hard time disagreeing. I also found it somewhat odd that he recommended some of the more fancy plays against the weaker more straightforward opponents and more abc against trickier ones. Also I found it wierd that damn near every other hand had you in the BB or SB. I know most people's blind play is very weak but it was a bit excessive.

I'm re-reading what I wrote here and it doesn't look like a positive review, my writing skills suck.... I was really trying to give this book a thumbs up. I guess the best part was getting me to think about the merits of plays I would consider wrong in most spots and this really hlped me widen my understanding overall. I learned the most when I tried to think how each option really compared vs each other, and how much better one line really is over the alternative.

As much as I recommend this book I would have to say that reading it too early would be a complete waste and maybe make the book worthless to you for all time. I really think its a good book for people newly in the 5-10 and up games who have pretty much surpassed the sshe type games.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: So I\'m pretty much finished with How good is your LHE.

[ QUOTE ]
I found it wierd that damn near every other hand had you in the BB or SB. I know most people's blind play is very weak but it was a bit excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't intended to be like that. However, I guess that the most interesting (and difficult) decisions occur when you are playing a moderate hand out of position - obviously a typical outcome of blind play.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: So I\'m pretty much finished with How good is your LHE.

I hadn't heard that it was great for SH. I think what little info it has is good.

I didn't think the games were generally that soft. I thought a lot of the hands were against soft PLAYERS, which is fine. That's where your profit is.

I didn't really realize how many of the hands were in the SB/BB while I was reading the book, but I look back and sure enough, 15 of 26 hands are there. Strange.

Also, I don't know that someone at $5/10 has "surpassed" SSHE games. I think SSHE is applicable for a lot of limits.