Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Folding Rivers After Turn Raises

No Reads.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ???

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 11-04-2005, 06:15 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Folding Rivers After Turn Raises

when I see a hand like this I work backward

going back to the turn, I look at your odds and think you're probably slightly +EV to call there, but the slightly part suggests that maybe you put in too many bets. it's highly unlikely you're good.

but going back, I think your flop play has to be right. I don't like calling and donking there. it doesn't do anything that 3-betting the flop doesn't.

so it's one of those hands where you're thinking "I must've done something wrong" but you probably didn't. you had a hand you though was best, and you just happened to have 6 outs when you found out it's not.

as for the river, I think that's a fold against a 5/10 unknown
Old 11-04-2005, 06:30 AM

I disagree. I say you call the river. People make crazy plays against me all the time like this with something like AK or even KJ or 22.

Maybe the way I play inspires people to make these moves on me, but I will often not even donk or 3 bet the flop, as the opponent will often bet every street regardless vs. me.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

if you want to call the river then I definitely don't like how the rest of the hand played out.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:47 AM

Getting 10-1, this board is a crying call with Ace-Big or better.

Not sure how this could go differently (call the flop and donk the turn doesn't make anything different.

Possibly call the flop and try for a CR the turn, but I'm not sure this does anything but spew chips when you're behind.

Maybe check call the turn but that seems weak for top pair, even on a straight board (you really don't want to give free card to a guy who raised an open ender on the flop).

No way this is a fold on the river though, especially against an unknown. AK A3 A6 88 63 T3 are all hands the BB could be playing like this and you have beat.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

as for the river, I think that's a fold against a 5/10 unknown

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks josh. those were all my thoughts exactly. just wanted a sanity check.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:26 AM

I think it's a call. Against a limper it's a fold. Against a poster I think you will see a counterfeit T6 or T3 enough to make it profitable.

Krishan
Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 10-1, this board is a crying call with Ace-Big or better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Say what? If somehow you managed to get to the river this way with AK, its a very very easy fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe check call the turn but that seems weak for top pair, even on a straight board (you really don't want to give free card to a guy who raised an open ender on the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're 3betting the flop and then checking the turn? Why wouldn't you just call the flop raise instead of 3betting if that's your plan?

[ QUOTE ]
No way this is a fold on the river though, especially against an unknown. AK A3 A6 88 63 T3 are all hands the BB could be playing like this and you have beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd need a specific read to think a poster is checking his AK, and then popping both the flop and turn on me with it UI. Ditto for A3 and A6. You're also ahead of T6.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:00 AM

The river is a very easy call. You simply can't fold here. You only have to be right 10% of the time to show a long-term profit.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a call. Against a limper it's a fold. Against a poster I think you will see a counterfeit T6 or T3 enough to make it profitable.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan,

Let me ask you another question. Would you ever consider s n' go on the turn instead of the flop 3 bet, or is the 3bet mandatory?