Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:14 AM

Default dealing with the massive overbet 5/10NL

Villain is extremely aggressive with all sorts of hands, but seems to play draws quite fast, lots of leading three betting or check raising depending on the strength of the draw. Check calling is a line I rarely see him take, and it means a made hand but of what strength I am not sure.

When he leads the turn I put him on an ace with a kicker probably weaker than mine or a decent king WITH a decent spade OR unlikely, a set which he was slowplaying on the flop for some odd reason. I am almost positive he doesnt have a flush at this point, but I dont raise because if he pushes with AQs i have to fold. Do I need to raise the turn?

When he pushes the river my kicker is dead so Im likely chopping at best, however, I dont think he plays a flush like this when the board pairs, hes obviously representing a boat but played his hand like a pair/fd. Would he play an ace like this to push me off the same hand, maybe.

I really felt like this was a great spot to snap off a massive overbet bluff, but I wussed out. How is my reasoning?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($135.35)
BB ($1420.50)
UTG ($1003.27)
MP ($1204.75)
CO ($485)
Hero ($1112.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, SB (poster) calls $30, BB calls $25.

Flop: ($105) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $70</font>, SB folds, BB calls $70.

Turn: ($245) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $200</font>, Hero calls $200.

River: ($645) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1000</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1645
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: dealing with the massive overbet 5/10NL

I like your reasoning, but as you said he check/called on flop signifying a made hand. If he has a made hand on flop, then he wouldn't be semi-bluffing turn with a king and a flush draw. I'd fold this here, especially if you haven't seen him overbet before. If he does it again though I'd call it.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:33 AM

he overbets more than the average player, last time he did it to me was after three betting a flop with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 when the turn was the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he moved into me for his whole stack and i layed down AK and felt great about it
Old 11-01-2005, 01:42 AM

Folding is OK, but what hand likes both that turn and river that much? Seems odd.