Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Big 12 Play of the Year

Texas Tech -10.5 at Baylor. I had expected this line to be 16 or 17, and was pleasantly surprised when it only came out at 10.5. I think this mostly has to do with these 2 teams results last week. Baylor, with their best team in years, came back from an 11 point deficit and took Oklahoma to double overtime. Texas Tech meanwhile, was "exposed" as they got trounced by Texas 52 - 17.

I watched most of the UT - TT game last week and the common theme for the game was that T. Tech consistently shot themselves in the foot, especially on special teams. Mike Leach has already stated that some of TT's starters will be playing on special teams this week to correct the problems. On offense, they actually moved the ball pretty well against a Texas defense, which might be the best in the country, but didn't finish off drives with scores.

While this is the best Baylor team in years, there are not in the same class as T. Tech. When Baylor played Nebraska at home, the mediocre Huskers offense, with one of their worst O-lines ever, completely dominated the line of scrimmage throughout the game. When T. Tech played at Lincoln, they handled the Huskers defensive front very well. Note that NU's defense leads the nation in sacks, so I just don't see a less dangerous Baylor defense being able to consistently pressure Hodges, which is paramount to keeping this game close.

I am aware of the hangover effect with Tech getting rolled last week, but Baylor is in the same boat as they came so close to beating OU for the first time ever. I'm also aware that Baylor is 6th in the country in pass efficiency defense, but the Texas A&M, NU, and Iowa St. offenses (these are the best offensive teams they've played) are not in the same league as Tech's.

I think Texas Tech wins this game by 3 scores or more. I think they cover this line at least 65% of the time.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Big 12 Play of the Year

With you on this one Carl. Baylor seemed to have alot of trouble covering OU's banged up receiving core, Lord knows what's going to happen when the Big 12's top fleet of receivers comes rolling in. Tech bounced back nicely after the thrashing they got last year by going on the road to beat a tough KState team 35-25 last year. I don't see Baylor having enough weapons on offense to keep pace with Tech's high octane offense, plus you have to love a coach who has no qualms going for the juggular like Leach does. I like this game all the way up to -14.