Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Why I hate \"Look at my 500-SNG penis\" posts

excellent post. i very much agree.

anyway, you said to ask a "long term" winner about roi and such; im curious as to how you would define "long term" in terms of number of sngs. i have heard some speculative responses to this question but your opinion would be greatly appreciated on the subject (if you have previously stated a number then i obviously missed it).

thanks,
bj
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bones,

If that picture is of you, you are my type of dude.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I don't run that well.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:55 AM

sounds like someone's bitter cause their last 500 SNGs weren't good enough to post...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 01:55 AM

On the other hand, those 3703 losers with winning records would be anywhere from 51% to 99.9% confident, statistically speaking, they were winning players. Go figure.

I could care less if people want to post stats, but I do find it annoying when it's done under the guise of "How am I doing?" It's a lot like the guy with a 12" dong stepping out of the gym shower and asking everyone if he's shrinking a little because the hot water heater is broken. No one wants to answer, nor should they. It's just a way to trick people into looking at your (e)penis.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
excellent post. i very much agree.

anyway, you said to ask a "long term" winner about roi and such; im curious as to how you would define "long term" in terms of number of sngs. i have heard some speculative responses to this question but your opinion would be greatly appreciated on the subject (if you have previously stated a number then i obviously missed it).

thanks,
bj

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's not like there's some magic number where you are suddenly a "long term" winner. As your data set increases in size, your confidence intervals narrow. You can calculate how likely you are to be a winner after any number of SNGs, and you can define your confidence intervals whenever you would like. Aleo's spreadsheet will even do it all for you.

But, to answer your question more specifically: if for some goofy reason I wanted to know what ROI could be maintained at a given level, I would want to speak with someone who had beaten that level for more than 3,000 SNGs.

Irieguy
Old 10-25-2005, 01:59 AM

Wow, if that is a 12oz beer, you and your friends are really, really tiny people!

If you absolutely must carry around a gigantic beverage, at least make it a Heineken.

I mean really! Bud Light? In a can? That large? Yikes.

Here is my promise never to post a 50/100/500/3000 SNG results thread. Also, never to be seen with a Bud Light that big....

Perhaps you have found your new avatar?? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MGDMcSlack
Old 10-25-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one wants to answer, nor should they. It's just a way to trick people into looking at your (e)penis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant.

Irieguy
Old 10-25-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

We all want to get better at SNGs and we all want to know what is obtainable and sustainable in terms of earning potential. These posts don't help in either regard, and can be quite anti-productive in the latter regard.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point. I don't really mind reading the posts. I usually just skip over them. But they probably hurt our perception of what really is sustainable at given levels, and how most people are really doing. That is a problem.

Also, My ROI at the STEP 5s is 41%. What can I do to improve it? Is that around what I should expect?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:23 AM

i did one of these when i finished my first 500 (and the results happened to be good). the problem with this is that until you've done a bunch more than 500 you don't realize how dumb it is to make this type of post.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i did one of these when i finished my first 500 (and the results happened to be good). the problem with this is that until you've done a bunch more than 500 you don't realize how dumb it is to make this type of post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I just realized that I made at least one post like this early on. My bad Irie.

EDIT: When I did, if I remember, I didn't intend to brag. However, if my results had been terrible, I wouldn't have made the post out of embarassment. That may be what is skewing our data.