Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:01 PM

Default QQ Under Fire on the turn

Good 15/30 Party table. This is my 5th orbit. Not sure about my image at the moment. I have open raised a few times and been 3 bet by a well known 2+2'er and I have completely missed the flop and check folded the flop. However, I also played a KK strongly and beat said 2+2'ers AJ. I have been getting decent starting cards and have been involved in more pots than normal. I am not playing under my 2+2 name, but other 2+2'ers may know me by this screen name. Anyway, I'm running good and am up about 15BB at the time.

UTG+1 (let's call him loose PF, avg post)and EP (let's call him loose, passive, calling stationish) limp, I raise from the HJ w/ Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2+2'er 3 bets me again from the CO. Button and blinds fold, limpers call, and I call. 4 to the flop w/ 13ish SB's

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG+1 checks, EP bets, I raise, 2+2'er 3 bets, UTG+1 cold calls 3, EP calls, I 4 bet, the other 3 call. Still 4 to the turn w/ 15ish BB's in the pot

Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, 2+2'er gives up and folds, UTG+1 now c/r, EP now calls 2 cold.

Action is back on me.

Anyone like a PF cap here?
Anyone think I overplayed my hand on the flop?
Which of my 3 choices do you like?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: QQ Under Fire on the turn

I'd cap PF and collect money from the limpers. I don't think you misplayed the flop the way you played PF. Call down.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM

I don't see anything you can do but go to showdown. The pot is ginormous. I'm not fearing overpairs because of the pre-flop action. Closing the action on the turn I'm happy to call and try to see a showdown for 2 more BB. You only need to win like 10% of the time to merit showing down. You might well have a bunch of outs against 2 pair. You have outs to draw to your set here on the turn, there's no flush to worry about, I'm not too concerned about being counterfeited by a J9 draw, and so on. Once the river comes I can't see myself folding unless it's two back to me.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:06 PM

Oh, yeah, and I'm capping this pre-flop without a thought. The limpers certainly have hands that you have crushed.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:14 PM

The answers to your first two questions are interrelated and given you have underrepresented your hand by not capping preflop capping the flop is just right IMO. I think it changes if you cap preflop and the action proceeds in a similar fashion then I think calling CO's 3-bet would be best.

As for the turn action I think I like calling with the plan to not overcall on the river UI (in which you have 2 Q outs and probably have the remaining 2s and 4s as outs to counterfeit a two pair hand).

Thinking about it more EP cold calling two means he has a T or worse the majority of time so him calling in between you and UTG1 doesn't mean much. I'm not sure about the river now as given the pot size an overplayed KT/AT is enough of a possibility to warrant a call right?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The answers to your first two questions are interrelated and given you have underrepresented your hand by not capping preflop capping the flop is just right IMO. I think it changes if you cap preflop and the action proceeds in a similar fashion then I think calling CO's 3-bet would be best.

As for the turn action I think I like calling with the plan to not overcall on the river UI (in which you have 2 Q outs and probably have the remaining 2s and 4s as outs to counterfeit a two pair hand).

Thinking about it more EP cold calling two means he has a T or worse the majority of time so him calling in between you and UTG1 doesn't mean much. I'm not sure about the river now as given the pot size an overplayed KT/AT is enough of a possibility to warrant a call right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't think the difference between calling and overcalling the river is significant here.

If he's calling two cold on the turn with a draw, he'll fold the river if missed and probably raise if hit.

If he's calling two with some made hand and not showing any aggression, unless he's a real passive type he probably has no better than a T. I don't see him turning over bottom set or something like that.

So if I'm calling I'm overcalling. The intermediate player is winning this almost never (like 5% maybe) unless he raises, in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:19 PM

Yeah my last paragraph kind of got into this as I re-read the description of the MP being a calling station. Either way I think calling the turn is clearly the best option with the plan to showdown on the river the majority of the time (the exception being when the action goes bet, raise...).
Old 10-24-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah my last paragraph kind of got into this as I re-read the description of the MP being a calling station. Either way I think calling the turn is clearly the best option with the plan to showdown on the river the majority of the time (the exception being when the action goes bet, raise...).

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time we go to Foxwoods we should try to meet Barry.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time we go to Foxwoods we should try to meet Barry.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking this as well. Do you want to go on Saturday?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:26 PM

I'm there quite a bit, usually on Wed and Thur but also now and again on the weekends, more now that the summer is over. PM me when you are heading down and we can exchange cell #'s and meet up. BTW, I live in Sudbury and maybe we can get a home game going so I can properly break in my new poker table.