Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Value betting the river

Value betting the river is bar far my biggest leak. I check behind far too often. What do you think about this one. I just recently switched to 6 max, so Im still getting used to people playing much weaker hands than in full ring.

6 max ..$1/$2 NL

I raise to $8 with QQ. BB calls. Hes got $160 and i have him covered..No reads.

Pot $18. Flop comes Tc9d5c He checks, I bet $15 and he calls.
Pot $48. Turn 5d. He checks, I bet $36 and he calls.
Pot $120. River Js. He checks and I check behind. He wont call anything with a busted flush draw, but since this is 6 max, hes more likely to have AT, KT, QT than a full ring.

Do you value bet here? Hes got $105 left.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Value betting the river

I'd bet 1/2 pot. I'd check behind if there wasn't a 5 on the turn though. The only thing ur scared of here is a sraight(or 5% a complete donkey with a set). The straight is almost impossible unless villan has KQc or 78c exactly. I'd probably call a push too.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:36 PM

I'd need a good read that tells me I'm ahead for sure before declining my shot at a free showdown. Some of the good things about this board is the pair of fives out there which presumably haven't hit him, and the jack on the river could easily have improved a straight draw to top pair. So you have a great chance to get called by JT, QJ, and J8, who all improved on the river. But if you routinely value bet the river with marginal hands your opponents may start playing trickier against you with their big hands which you don't want to happen.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet 1/2 pot. I'd check behind if there wasn't a 5 on the turn though. The only thing ur scared of here is a sraight(or 5% a complete donkey with a set). The straight is almost impossible unless villan has KQc or 78c exactly. I'd probably call a push too.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like this advice. no hand is calling that doesn't beat you. we also don't know your table image so if hero is seen as loose you can expect 55, KQo (not just suited) and 78o. and if u say "he isn't calling the turn bet with 87o" that 5 turn gives him a double belly.

WAWB nice check.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd need a good read that tells me I'm ahead for sure before declining my shot at a free showdown. Some of the good things about this board is the pair of fives out there which presumably haven't hit him, and the jack on the river could easily have improved a straight draw to top pair. So you have a great chance to get called by JT, QJ, and J8, who all improved on the river. But if you routinely value bet the river with marginal hands your opponents may start playing trickier against you with their big hands which you don't want to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice post.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like this advice. no hand is calling that doesn't beat you. we also don't know your table image so if hero is seen as loose you can expect 55, KQo (not just suited) and 78o. and if u say "he isn't calling the turn bet with 87o" that 5 turn gives him a double belly.

WAWB nice check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this advice.

First off, there are several hands that are calling that we beat. KJ, QJ, JT, J9, J8 are definitely calling. AT, KT, QT would possibly call a value bet as well. Obviously T9 is calling, but if he had T9 he most likely would've raised sometime before the river.

Second, if he hit a straight with KQ or 87, he probably would've bet out seeing as his outs are scare cards and he would fear a check behind. It's also statistically less likely he has a Q because we have 2 of them.

Third, how in the world does the 5 on the turn give him a double belly?

As for my advice. I'd value bet this river. But I would probably put in a little less than 1/2 the pot. If he has a hand like AT or KT, he'd still likely call this. Probably a bet around $40-50. I would also call a c/r push from him considering the size of the pot, his stack isn't very large, and considering a lot of people might c/r with JT or J9.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WAWB nice check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this advice.

First off, there are several hands that are calling that we beat. KJ, QJ, JT, J9, J8 are definitely calling. AT, KT, QT would possibly call a value bet as well. Obviously T9 is calling, but if he had T9 he most likely would've raised sometime before the river.

Second, if he hit a straight with KQ or 87, he probably would've bet out seeing as his outs are scare cards and he would fear a check behind. It's also statistically less likely he has a Q because we have 2 of them.

Third, how in the world does the 5 on the turn give him a double belly?

As for my advice. I'd value bet this river. But I would probably put in a little less than 1/2 the pot. If he has a hand like AT or KT, he'd still likely call this. Probably a bet around $40-50. I would also call a c/r push from him considering the size of the pot, his stack isn't very large, and considering a lot of people might c/r with JT or J9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Nice post. The 5 is a great card for us because it puts us ahead of his two pair hands which is what makes this a value bet, not a check.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:33 PM

i check this behind without a question. what hands are calling us that we are ahead of?
Old 10-22-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i check this behind without a question. what hands are calling us that we are ahead of?

[/ QUOTE ]

too many draws on this board. If you missed a bet, that happens but more often than not your going to lose here....
Old 10-22-2005, 03:00 PM

is this a joke?

you are all joking, right? given he has less than a pot bet left in his stack (and thus is not trying to get fancy with a river check raise to make more when you are deep) and thus you ain't scared of a c/r, there is no reason to not value bet this river.

i might even push to make it look life a bluff. a J will look you up. there is no way you are not ahead in this spot, like 99% you are ahead so bet the only question is how much to bet. bet half pot or push, depends on his calling propensity.