Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Duncan or Garnett who you got?

He showed up in Game 7 down the stretch.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:18 PM

Having someone who plays absolutely no defense whatsoever as #4 on your list clearly reduces the value of your opinion. I don't think Dirk cracks the top 15, let alone the top 5.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fantasy Basketball = Garnett in a landslide
Real Basketball = Duncan

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark nailed the post, should have been over already.

However, there is still a discussion going on over the real world basketball reasons. There should not be much argument here, but some people are perhaps misled by KG's fantasy dominance, his passion and intensity, and his raw talent. The man is a freak, plain and simple. He is amazing and a joy to watch on the court. He is much more charismatic to root for than Duncan. His skillset is more well rounded than Duncan.

However, this does not measure up to Duncan for the purposes of a winning NBA team. Duncan = post game. Garnett does not. Winning the NBA is predicated upon either a post game, or having the best basketball player of all time. You can build around Duncan's post game and defense in the middle. It is more difficult to do so around Garnett. The opinions of the people who matter confirm this. GM polls indicate that Duncan is the #1 PF as well as the top choice to build a team around, by a clear margin.

There is not, nor should there be much debate, unless Garnett demonstrates success at the highest levels and develops a much stronger post game. He has shown a reticence to do so thus far.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having someone who plays absolutely no defense whatsoever as #4 on your list clearly reduces the value of your opinion. I don't think Dirk cracks the top 15, let alone the top 5.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree to disagree. You must be a bitter Clippers or Raptors fan whose never experienced a winning team. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And he seems to do ok in Euro Championships, unless you never bothered watching them (part-time NBA fan alert!). I have no idea why people say he plays NO defense... just because he's no Ben Wallace on D, how the hell does he average 10 rpg, 1.5 bpg, and 1 spg???? lol!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:24 PM

Most of the time, he's by far the tallest Maverick on the court, so many rebounds will go to him by default. Averaging 1.5 bpg is no great defensive feat - that's not even top-25 in the NBA; and on a per 48 min basis, he falls even further - behind such defensive stalwarts as Robert Horry and Donyell Marshall. His steals are nothing either - he's behind Peja and Vince Carter (hardly the most challenging defenders in the NBA)

edit: as for the original question - I'm a T-Wolves fan, I love KG, and there's no way I take him over Duncan unless it's on my fantasy team.