Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: does clutch exist?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you definitely can focus more in key situations. Do you think Chris Carpenter was as focused in his last 3-4 regular season starts when nothing mattered as he was the rest of the year, or in the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but wouldn't that be because he wasn't giving it his all and didn't really give a crap in his last few starts rather than he was being "clutch"?

No doubt he was more focused but I don't see how focused = clutch. Esp. if you're talking for an entire season.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:12 AM

Haven't we had this discussion a dozen times in the last few months? I never got involved so I'll add my quick thoughts.

Some people react better under pressure and stress. To that extent, some players are clutch.

The media does hype up "clutch players" too much, though.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If some people can choke in big spots, others can excel in big spots. I don't think you can have it both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

i definitely think you can. the difference is that one direction goes towards something unattainable (hitting .450 for a significant period) and the other goes towards something very possible (hitting .220).

also, you can't deny that in pressure situations some unprepared athletes will lock up and "choke". this happens.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If some people can choke in big spots, others can excel in big spots. I don't think you can have it both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't temporarily improve your power, your eyesight or whatever in certain situations, can you? Unless your not trying hard the rest of the time.

But I could see how someone could try too much or just [censored] their pants in general important at bats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you definitely can focus more in key situations. Do you think Chris Carpenter was as focused in his last 3-4 regular season starts when nothing mattered as he was the rest of the year, or in the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more just not performing to his full capabilities when he doesn't need to. Clutch really isn't about 'trying harder'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that in part, it is.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hitting .450 for a significant period

[/ QUOTE ]

No one has said that's the key number have they? Why can't clutch be hitting 10% better than your normal expectation? Picking an extreme case and batting it down does nothing to support your case.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:24 AM

Pujols' clutchness couldn't possibly be related to this could it?

Old 10-19-2005, 12:26 AM

Bitter, party of one, your table is ready.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 AM

Clutch exists for sure. It's more than trying harder in big games though clark because almost everyone does try harder in game seven of the world series etc. but not everyone comes through.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hitting .450 for a significant period

[/ QUOTE ]

No one has said that's the key number have they? Why can't clutch be hitting 10% better than your normal expectation? Picking an extreme case and batting it down does nothing to support your case.

[/ QUOTE ]

its just an example. there is a limit to how much a player can achieve, why do you think those limits will be liftef?

ive had more than enough to drink so that my reasoning and comprehension is off, so dont take my arguments too seriously right now, i'll come back to the thread tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clutch exists for sure. It's more than trying harder in big games though clark because almost everyone does try harder in game seven of the world series etc. but not everyone comes through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think it has more to do with focus and concentration and relaxation, in other words being "in the zone" rather than "trying harder", and some players tend to enter the zone more often when the stakes are highest, some don't. (Tiger being the best example of the former).